Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Weber 22 Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Weber 22 Need Advice

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

Recently acquired a Weber 22 Kettle. Both the smoker and the propane grill are dead and I needed a replacement. Will acquire a propane grill and smoker in the future but we are doing a complete backyard renovation so don't really have a place to put either of them.

I'm looking at smoking and slow cooking techniques on the Weber 22. Screwed up and bought a bag of lump. I now realize the error of my ways. Will use briqs in the future.

So I'm wondering how to smoke low and slow on this thing.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Easiest way on a kettle is a Slow n Sear. Lump should still work fine. You can also lay out coals in various patterns for smoking like the minion method. That’s not as easy with lump though.

Comment

Here's an article from the free side about setting up your grill for 2 zone cooking

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...ature-indirect

Also, a lot of people use the slow n sear for smoking

​​​​​The vortex is supposed to be able to do low and slow as well.

Another technique I've seen - but not used - is making a charcoal snake around a water pan.

I don't have a kettle grill myself, but I'm sure you're about to get a lot of good advice from those that do.
      Last edited by BFlynn; July 24, 2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Run, don't walk, to this website and buy you an SNS.......SNSgrills.com

Comment

Agree on getting the SNS. If you can spring for it get the DNG too, but it isn't necessary. I think the DNG helps direct air flow through the SNS and helps with temp control, but the same thing could be accomplished with aluminum foil.

Comment

Build a snake around the kettle on the charcoal grate.
            Place a drip pan in the middle.
            Set the bottom vent fully open.
            Light 6-8 briquettes and dump them on the end of the snake.
            Add wood chunks at intervals on top of the snake.
            Put the lid on and let it come to temp adjusting the top vent as needed to dial it in.
            Place the upper grate on the kettle, add your meat, and smoke it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	snakemethod.jpg?format=1000w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	306.6 KB ID:	885179
            Last edited by Attjack; July 23, 2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Yup on the SnS. When ya get it then we can talk. 🕶

Comment

If budget is a concern, there's nothing wrong with the most basic SnS bundle either: https://snsgrills.com/collections/bu...oasting-bundle

Some people actually prefer the classic SnS for smoke because it doesn't clog with ash as easy. However the removable water pan in the deluxe model can be nice for more charcoal capacity when you don't need more moisture and more radiant surface for searing. All of their kettle products are top notch. I just wish they still offered the stainless drip n griddle pan without the rack still. I only use mine as a catch pan, but it's nice to just hose/scape it off and not worry about the finish.

Comment

I got the SNS a couple of years ago and it's not magic but it makes things so much easier that it was worth every penny.

Here's what I do:

1) Light 6-12 coals and let them ash over. I just put them in one corner of the SNS with a Weber starter cube but you can light them in a chimney. The key is to light JUST THEM. Do not put other coals in the SNS with them if you're lighting them in there. If you do, the other coals will catch and you'll start off with more lit coals than you want early on.

2) When those coals are fully lit, add the other coals to the SNS. If you lit them in a chimney, put the lit coals in one corner of the SNS, the add the other coals.

3) Place wood chunks along the coals from left to right (or right to left) so t hat as the fire lights coals the new chunks catch and smoke.

4) Close the bottom vents to 1/4. You can do this before lighting the coals of course. Close the top vent to 1/2.

5) Put a grill temp probe in there, put the lid on and WAIT at least 15 mins. I've always regretted it when I hurried and skipped this bit, but it's important to let the fire stabilize and the initial smoke to settle.

6) Pop in the meat, with probe in it.

7) LEAVE IT ALONE. When you open the lid, you not only let heat out, but you let air in which causes the fire to catch and can spike your temps.

That basic technique gets me a fire that lasts for hours and ranges right around 250F. Play with the vents if your fire is too low or too high but don't worry too much. People obsess over temps too much and unless you're trying to time something pretty closely, it really doesn't matter if your pit is 230, 250 or 280.
                  Last edited by rickgregory; July 23, 2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I agree that the SnS really helps a lot, but it isn't absolutely necessary. The snake method works, but is a bit more work and requires a bit more attention.

Comment

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would say the snake method works better because it provides a more consistent burn and the potential for a longer burn without refueling. Therefore it requires less attention IMO. The SNS is less time consuming to set up but vent adjustment is more likely to be necessary. I now use a SNS and a fan/controller with my 26 and so the snake has no advantage in that case. But on all my 6 other kettles I choose the snake. 5 extra minutes of setup for a many hour cook isn't a big deal to me.

Go to www.virtualweberbullet.com. It’s a website devoted to only Weber products, techniques, accessories, etc.

Comment

I really like my SnS but like others have said, the snake method was used for a long time before the SnS came along. I personally would get a vortex first, then at a later date the SnS.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks all for the replies. I knew I could count on the Pit for some great tips. I used a MEB30 electric with a pellet tray. The MEB is in the trash now. It lived a good life but succumbed to age as did my gas grill. Looking forward to new adventures on the kettle. Wifey has actually said the food tastes better. And the whole starting the charcoal is much less a PIA than I expected. The Weber chimney starter is great.

Comment

SnS has a good FB page and there are also a couple of very good Weber kettle FB clubs also. YouTube has a lot of videos on any Weber kettle subject. Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here