Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shish kabob technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shish kabob technique?

Curious as to how others prepare and grill there shish kabobs.

1- what ingredients and seasoning?

2- do you alternate ingredients on 1 skewer (beef onion pepper, pineapple) , or put all the same ingredients together on skewers(all beef skewer, all onion skewer)?

just wanted to see what others are doing, as im making some for my wife's birthday next week.

I've always done skewers of alternated chicken, peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, pineapple, with everything marinated in Italian dressing except pineapple and tomatoes.

I like a flat skewer. That way there is less chance of pieces rotating. Double skewers would also work.

I make each skewer a single ingredient because each item takes a different time to cook.

However, I mostly use a grill basket similar to the one in the below link. Then I cook the protein(s) first, and may cook them separately if one cooks faster than others, (think shrimp ). Then I remove proteins to a bowl and cook the veggies. Normally I start the peppers first because they are normally the slowest cookin' veggie. Other veggies are added to the peppers timing it so that they are all done at the same time. When the veggies are just about done, I add the protein back in and cook just long enough to reheat the protein.

Comment

I generally keep each skewer a single ingredient as they all cook differently. I focus more on technique and cut of meat than seasoning as you can season however you like. I use flat skewers and bunch the meat up on them pretty tight so that I can get nice crispy charred bits while the inside stays nice and juicy. Last night I did pork al pastor where I cut shoulder thin against the grain and weaved it onto the skewer with pineapple. I'll throw up some pics on this thread once I find them.

Top pic: Boneless/skinless chicken thighs - cut into 1 inch-ish cubes. Then i brine in pickle juice for an hour tops. Pat dry and add rub of your own choosing. Thread onto skewers making sure the meat is packed on tight. Grill direct until nice and charred and I get the color i want, then I move to cool side and glaze on some bbq sauce. Quick finish over the heat to set sauce

Bottom Pic: Pork Al-pastor. Pork shoulder cut into 2"x1"x1/8" strips against the grain. Marinated overnight in paste of ancho, guajillo, chipotle chiles, achiote, cumin, oregano, garlic, chick stock & cider vin. Threaded onto skewers alternating with 1" slices of slightly under ripe pineapple (so that the pineapple holds its shape as it cooks). This is probably the only time I'll do both meat and a veg/fruit on same skewer. Cooked direct over 'medium' coals. Kept a spray bottle handy for flareups. The overnight marinade really helped tenderize and these were way more tender than expected.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pobeque; May 14, 2020, 06:21 AM. Reason: Edit - Added pics and technique

Comment

Meat on one veg on another. Different cook times. We like the Italian dressing as well for chicken.

Comment

I prepare doubled skewers with separate ingredients. Easy to turn without spinning chunks, and can turn/remove each when ready.

Comment

The Spiedie marinade is my go to (produces a nostalgia taste for me), though I also like to use Raichlen's The Only Marinade You'll Ever Need.

Like others, no mixing on skewers. Different rates of cooking. Flat skews or double skews for ease of use. Also been known to sous vide the chunks before skewering, and then searing off on the skewers.

Comment

We buy Diana's marinades or go simple with a beer/BBQ sauce marinade, shake on some dry rub while cooking.
            Use a twisted metal skewer or soaked bamboo.
            I mix ingredients just cut the meat thinner to try to keep cook times between ingredients as close as possible.

Comment

For food safety concerns, I always skewer the meat separate from the vegetables. I know every cookbook or food mag you see features mixing the kebab's veggies with meat on a skewer, but every single chunk of chicken especially needs to get up to 165° (including carryover) for a safe cook. That's almost impossible to do with mixed skewers, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here