Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low and Slow: When to add the meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low and Slow: When to add the meat?

I normally wait for my cooker to come up to temp before adding meat. Are there any drawbacks to adding the meat sooner? If no, how soon after starting the fire can the meat be added?

On one hand it would theoretically speed the cook up slightly since the meat is getting a boost where it would normally spend in the fridge waiting longer. One the other hand your cooker will theoretically take longer to get to the final temp. Would the two things cancel each other out? Maybe. But, many people report that the longer lower slower rise to temp is beneficial for some meats making them more tender. This was part of the idea behind letting steaks come to room temp before grilling (the other part being it's easier to not overcook it since the middle of the meat at room temp is already 35* warmer if it's at room temp, thereby shortening the overall cook and less overcooked edges).

Anyway, might be worth a try. If ever you're cooking two similar pieces of the same thing- put one on as the cooker is coming up to temp, the other after.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

Anyway, might be worth a try. If ever you're cooking two similar pieces of the same thing- put one on as the cooker is coming up to temp, the other after.
      This summer I will probably be halving a brisket and cooking it in my WSM 14.5". I like the idea and I think I will try it. I'll report my findings.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here