Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do yall freeze leftovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do yall freeze leftovers?

So tomorrow I'm doing a pork butt, but at eight pounds that is going to produce a lot of (really awesome!) food. The last time I did this, I didn't think things through and dumped most of the leftovers into a rubbermaid tub and put it in the freezer. Well, it suffered from freezer burn and, as it was frozen, it was hard to break it apart into individual portions to defrost.

I'll put enough of the pork aside for the obligatory next day tacos and pizza (perhaps even pulled pork spaghetti), but I will still have a lot leftover for freezing.

Had do yall freeze your leftovers? Sandwhich-sized freezer bags? Freezer paper?

I have a chamber vacuum sealer, so I use that. If I didn't, I use the ziplock freezer bags and squeeze as much air out as possible. I'd do serving portions and put all the bags in one large ziplock bag.

Comment

Vacuum sealer is the best. Otherwise you want a layer of aluminum foil sealed really tight and well and a freezer bag over that with as much air squeezed out as possible. You need both to control drying and scent seepage.

Comment

Actually, if I'm not using my vacuum sealer then I start with plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil, followed by a zip top freezer bag getting out as much air as possible. Seems like a waste, but freezer burn sucks.

Comment

Vac-a-diddle-ack!

Comment

Please explain, what is that term. "Leftovers"? hehehe Does not compute.
            How long you freezing? Stuff in freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air. Wrap in foil. Mark with date and product.

Comment

vacuum sealer. Using 6 inch bags for lunch size, then 11 inch for big stuff. I always cook more than needed, fill up the smoker or grill, then freeze the rest. Ate some brisket that was 2 years old last month, it was just fine. If I'm going to eat or use the meat with in 30 day's (short term) I use good quality zip lock's.

Comment

1 pound seal-a-meal packs.

Comment

I portion into individual portions and wrap tightly in plastic wrap squeezing as much air out as I can. I then put the portions in a zipper bag and again squeeze out as much air as possible. I have recently found some 6" wide vacuum rolls and may buy some and put individual portions in them.

Comment

If I’m using ziplock bags, which I usually do since we will go through it in a few weeks, after squeezing the air out and sealing, I smash the pulled pork flat in the bag. This makes stacking easier and reheating easier than a thicker chunk. I use quart bags.

Comment

First, I get my freezer really cold, we’ll actually, freezing. Then I put the stuff in it & wait at least 4 hours before I check the stuff. Although if I leave it over night it’s pretty much frozen & then I’m good to go. Although, once "it" is frozen it’s not goin anywhere cuz it’s frozen. Now, how long do ya leave it frozen? Well that depends, cuz of what "it" is. Cuz ya don’t want "it" to get freezer burned. Isn’t that somethin, ya can burn somethin by freezin it. Anything else ya wanna know just ask, mebbee Huskee or Spinaker or someone. 🕶
                      Last edited by FireMan; February 29, 2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I'm going say Vaccuum Sealer for long term. At 2 to 3 weeks freezer bags are OK IMO. Like most here, there are mystery things sealed in our freezers from along time ago. I do label including date. That's good, but doesn't help you find it. At least I know when I froze it.

Comment

I vac seal 1# packages and put in my chest freezer.

Comment

I’m firmly in the vac seal, label, and freeze camp.

Comment

Vac seal for the win.

Even for stews and such, it’s great! I had some gumbo that was in a vac seal bag that I warmed up tonight using my sous vide machine. Talk about easy peasy! I made green chile a few weeks back, vac sealed it. I have some BBQ pork like you, and vac sealed. Makes warming up or thawing out easier as well when its flat.

otherwise, zipper bag with foil and plastic wrap.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here