Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do yall freeze leftovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Vacuum sealers remove all air from the bag. With no air gap between the meat and the bag, no ice crystals form, and no freezer burn.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Vacuum sealers are awesome for preserving both fresh and smoked meat. I use my foodsaver to seal up pulled pork, ribs, chicken even, and drop it in the deep freeze. With all the air out there is no freezer burn. I try to make meal sized portions that we can microwave for quick meals during the week.

now, I will add this. Freezer type matters. The typical frost free freezer in a refrigerator has daily defrost cycles that will decrease quality of frozen items in a couple of months. A true deep freeze with no automatic defrost keeps items below 0F indefinitely, and I’ve reheated frozen foods after many months and they’ve had great quality.

I also cut my own steaks from primal and vacuum seal them and freeze.
    Last edited by jfmorris; February 29, 2020, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_in_TX
    replied
    Wow.....I was not expecting all the vacuum sealer recommendations! I may have to get myself one of those things!

At the risk of sounding like the obvious eludes me, clearly the notion is to get as much air away from the food as possible.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    Vac seal for the win.

Even for stews and such, it’s great! I had some gumbo that was in a vac seal bag that I warmed up tonight using my sous vide machine. Talk about easy peasy! I made green chile a few weeks back, vac sealed it. I have some BBQ pork like you, and vac sealed. Makes warming up or thawing out easier as well when its flat.

otherwise, zipper bag with foil and plastic wrap.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    I’m firmly in the vac seal, label, and freeze camp.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    I vac seal 1# packages and put in my chest freezer.

Leave a comment:

• RichieB
    replied
    I'm going say Vaccuum Sealer for long term. At 2 to 3 weeks freezer bags are OK IMO. Like most here, there are mystery things sealed in our freezers from along time ago. I do label including date. That's good, but doesn't help you find it. At least I know when I froze it.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    First, I get my freezer really cold, we’ll actually, freezing. Then I put the stuff in it & wait at least 4 hours before I check the stuff. Although if I leave it over night it’s pretty much frozen & then I’m good to go. Although, once "it" is frozen it’s not goin anywhere cuz it’s frozen. Now, how long do ya leave it frozen? Well that depends, cuz of what "it" is. Cuz ya don’t want "it" to get freezer burned. Isn’t that somethin, ya can burn somethin by freezin it. Anything else ya wanna know just ask, mebbee Huskee or Spinaker or someone. 🕶
    Last edited by FireMan; February 29, 2020, 08:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    If I’m using ziplock bags, which I usually do since we will go through it in a few weeks, after squeezing the air out and sealing, I smash the pulled pork flat in the bag. This makes stacking easier and reheating easier than a thicker chunk. I use quart bags.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I portion into individual portions and wrap tightly in plastic wrap squeezing as much air out as I can. I then put the portions in a zipper bag and again squeeze out as much air as possible. I have recently found some 6" wide vacuum rolls and may buy some and put individual portions in them.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    1 pound seal-a-meal packs.

Leave a comment:

• randy56
    replied
    vacuum sealer. Using 6 inch bags for lunch size, then 11 inch for big stuff. I always cook more than needed, fill up the smoker or grill, then freeze the rest. Ate some brisket that was 2 years old last month, it was just fine. If I'm going to eat or use the meat with in 30 day's (short term) I use good quality zip lock's.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Please explain, what is that term. "Leftovers"? hehehe Does not compute.
    How long you freezing? Stuff in freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air. Wrap in foil. Mark with date and product.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Vac-a-diddle-ack!

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    Actually, if I'm not using my vacuum sealer then I start with plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil, followed by a zip top freezer bag getting out as much air as possible. Seems like a waste, but freezer burn sucks.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here