Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do yall freeze leftovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I don't have a vac sealer, but for important long term freezes... I use a gallon zip bag, push as much air out as I can, then submerse in the sink without letting water in to let the water press the last of the air out.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    If you're not sure you'll use a vacsealer a lot look at the new anova and the Nescos. What you'll find is that there are always about 10% 1 star reviews of any model... but they complain about things like "This squished my muffins!" (not kidding) or something. I grabbed the baby Nesco (https://www.amazon.com/VS-02-Vacuum-...s%2C211&sr=8-4 ) and it's fine for the occasional stuff I use it for. If you do big session of vacsealing like some here, you'd want a larger capacity unit.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_in_TX
    replied
    Well, isn't it convenient that my birthday is coming up. Time for some research!

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Sorry to be a broken record but a Vac Sealer for sure. I also do like IowaGirl and use a Kitchen Scale to measure a quantity that I really want in each package. You won't be sorry.

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    replied
    I'm vote #147 for a vacuum sealer.

Don't scrimp on bag quality either -- thicker bags are more abrasion resistant, so less likely to loose their seal when a bone or other sharp bit pokes into the plastic.

Also make your packages as flat and smooth as possible for most efficient use of freezer space and also for faster thawing.

Portion only enough into each bag to make one meal for the number of people you normally cook for. If I'm freezing pork shoulder, for example, I'll put 6 ounces of cooked meat by weight into each bag. That makes a generous meal of burritos or loaded nachos for the 2 of us.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Michael_in_TX if food is vacuum sealed it helps reduce formation of ice crystals and freezer burn due to the defrost cycle on a normal freezer.

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    IMO, a freezer that doesn't have auto defrost is a "true" freezer in the sense that Rick is talking about. Typical chest freezers don't have auto defrost -- you have to manually defrost every so often when a thick layer of frost builds up on the walls of the freezer.

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    I did not know this. Interesting! It would stand to reason that I probably should plan to use frozen cooked and uncooked foods within about 3-4 months then.

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris - 2 kegerators.........

Man cave!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I have a small chest deep freeze - not even sure of the cubic feet, probably 7-ish. I use a couple of plastic egg crates to store stuff in, stacking one on top of the other, then have the compressor hump to store things on, and a basket that hangs in the door opening that is slid over the compressor hump area.

Wife would like it out of the laundry room, so I gotta figure out how to make space for it in a garage that already has 2 full size upright refrigerators and two kegerators.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Yeah...same here. Could not imagine not having a sealer. Sorry....

Leave a comment:

• SmokingSteve
    replied
    Ok, I gotta say it...I use the freezer to freeze any leftovers. I have not found anything else that does a better job than my freezer.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Leave a comment:

• briano52
    replied
    Here is just one more guy who loves his vacuum sealer machine. Best gadget in the whole kitchen and pays for itself many times over in a few months in saving food like fresh. Vac sealed food is like new for 3-4 months and still petty good after that!

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    Vacuum sealers are awesome for preserving both fresh and smoked meat. I use my foodsaver to seal up pulled pork, ribs, chicken even, and drop it in the deep freeze. With all the air out there is no freezer burn. I try to make meal sized portions that we can microwave for quick meals during the week.

now, I will add this. Freezer type matters. The typical frost free freezer in a refrigerator has daily defrost cycles that will decrease quality of frozen items in a couple of months. A true deep freeze with no automatic defrost keeps items below 0F indefinitely, and I’ve reheated frozen foods after many months and they’ve had great quality.

I also cut my own steaks from primal and vacuum seal them and freeze.
    What do you use as a freezer?

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    Vacuum sealing hands down is the best, but you can get by without, especially if you need to save up for one. Then there is the chamber versus suction sealer debate, so do some homework, research, and ask questions. Meanwhile, freezer bags or plastic wrap and butcher paper, and from the comments, but not personal experience, aluminium foil will suffice. And you are correct, get out as much air as possible.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here