Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impromptu pulled pork flautas video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dubobfzxdoc

These were in the fridge for maybe an hour. The tortillas were a lilltle warm when I sealed them. I just needed them to settle down for a few. No biggie. You can go right into the pan. I don’t always seal them. You can also open the bag straight away too and just use it for the compression. Again... no biggie.

This simple food will teach a few things like:

1. Pork comes out very tight, meaning like "the crumb." It will be an "Al Dente" type of firm bite no matter how juicy. I use pork for dipping rather than adding sauce/moisture to the interior. I was all about wanting some type of sauce yesterday.

2. Fewer ingredients are better.

3. things like Garlic oil, toasted sesame oil, Shoyo, horseradish etc.. Should be well considered. Their profile elevated and can dominate.

4. Reheated things allow you to add flavor like tossing that pork in sauce before wrapping or chicken thighs in garlic oil etc...

5. a lot can be done with flavor so the few things that are in there should be well seasoned.

6. Do not leave long stands of things like pulled pork, shredded chicken, fajita strip and the like. They should all be cut or chopped for easier rolling and cleaner bites.

it’s terrible when you take a bite and the meat pulls out then scorching you with sauce or hot cheese.

7. I don’t care for blues hog on the inside, it tastes weird but A thin line of sweet baby rays on some pulled ribs is amazing.

one of my favorites is Carne Asada tossed in a guajillo sauce with green onion, cilantro and fresh jalapeño, no seeds.

breakfast flautas are amazing. Crunchy garlic patatos, chopped bacon and brisket. Dip that in your runny eggs. So good.

Anyhow you get the jist.

a PSA.... Please, please and please pan fry in lard. I find that shallow pan fry in lard far superior to anything I’ve done in a professional setting. IMHO you need to try that once as your index.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Greetings.
      These are something I've been wanting to do for a while. Made my first tester today for costing and sampling and was good but can and will be better.. I ran out of time and will be experimenting again tomorrow. Just mentioned them to a couple of my customers and I already have orders for tomorrow night. Hold thumbs I can get them close to the maestro.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg After a few practice runs I have no doubt you will bang them out. Best part is you can wrap, vac seal and pull from fridge as needed. Wrap days n days in advance. Leftover smash burgers you have to cook. Fine, cook them and toss in grilled onion. Chop, add cheese and roll. You used meat that would have otherwise turned and and can now store a cooked product rather than a raw one.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Like the idea of a fried cheese burger wrap. I'll be making a sample one today. Thinking just fry the ground beef with some onion and add cheese before rolling. Nice idea Sir.

I am never going to catch up on "I gotta they this one" recipes. Thanks and hope you're feeling better.

Comment

Videos were awesome. Thanks for this, and please get well soon!

Comment

One of the things I miss most about California is all the great Mexican food.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Made by real Mexicans and not the half breeds like me.

You are my hero.

Comment

I love the vacuum trick. I am definitely going to try that. I, too, warm the tortillas up prior to just about everything. I like straining warm/hot salsa, brushing very lightly on the tortillas and warm them in a pan or on the griddle, flipping like you. I really like the background flavor of the tortillas that way.

While I can flip tortillas for days with one functional hand, there is no way I could be rolling the burritos with only one good hand like you. Bending and working it like you did shows real skills! I knew they couldn't keep you down.

Comment

Wow. Great info, excellent results and will be trying to replicate.

Comment

holehogg I hope this all works out for you. I used the cheeseburger as an example of needing to use a product that may be aging. You can do that with anything. If you cook it before it ages out you still have a quality product with a new shelf life.

I DO NOT advocate using old suspect product for resale but I think you know that.

Remember "Garbage in Garbage out."

if you use ground beef be sure to drain the cooked product or cool on a Dixie cloth or paper towels on a sheet pan to pick up the extra grease but I suspect you already knew that too.
              this accomplished two things. It stops the interior from becoming too wet and allows you to control the moisture.

A "drier" beef will allow adhesion from other products such as cheese and sauces you add before the roll. It is also a cleaner bite and sits better on the palate allowing you "Taste" the few simple ingredients to their full potential.

When adding things like onion and peppers to a
              mix be sure to pay attention to your knife cuts cook them off first before adding to the mix.

Don’t be that guy that adds a ton of wonky mismatched raw (sometimes offensive) veggie to your well prepared product. Especially if this is a lunch crowd. "Quality in quality out."

You may also find less pressure in the vac seal or no vac seal at all will help with the finished products with various ingredients.

I hope this helps.
              HH
              Last edited by HouseHomey; July 16, 2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Your advise as all ways is sound and heeded. Thx HH

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I appreciate that you share this advice with us, HouseHomey. I don't run a food business, but I still profit by words of wisdom like this. I sometimes cook for a crowd and want my food to appeal to everyone. Also I'm always interested in good, safe ways to deal with leftovers. Love foods like this that can be prepped in advance, frozen in individual portions, and then quickly prepared for a quality meal for as many folks as are hungry.

Thanks a bunch. Great info here. I heated some tortillas on the stove top the same way today for lunch.

Comment

Just checked out the vids,,,
                flautas looked awesome,,,,,
                I have a tendency to try to pack in too much when I roll things ,,,,,thanks for reminding me
                great tutorial
                U can give "Sam the Cooking Guy " a run for his money !!!!

Comment

• Greygoose
                  Greygoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @househomey
                  He has a YouTube channel
                  I find him funny and entertaining and has great cooking vids

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just watched a video. 20 minutes into a 50 minute vid I gave up.. Supposed to be a salad dressing. Ugh!! Terrible tv. I gave another shot and watched a smash burger. He’s very like able and made a delicious burger.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sam Absolutely ROCKS!!!!!

Well I made, and sold all that I made.
                Asked for feedback from those that bought. Still a few to report back but those that have love them. To quote one of the partakers

"Hey Steve. That was the nicest chow I have had for a long, long time.
                Excellent! Thank you"

A big Thank you to you HH for sharing your method you making me look good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200717_132357.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	882047
                Last edited by holehogg; July 17, 2020, 01:17 PM. Reason: Soled

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those look great. Pork n cheese?? The possibilities are endless.

You did the work my friend. Well done sir!

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was filled with Portuguese😊 I made a very thick cheese sauce that I let get cold. Spread a little on the wrap topped with pulled pork and a smidgen of chopped spring onion and gherkin.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That sounds amazing!! Cheese sauce, I never thunk it. My head is now pinging.. I have an idea....

I fed my husband some of these last night. First try at making flautas. I shredded some rotisserie chicken breast and combined that with shredded cheese, a teaspoon or so of store bought red salsa, and a sprinkle of sliced green onion tops. There's some room for improvement on my cooking method -- to my credit, I did use lard, but I overbrowned the tortillas. Even so, the result was quite tasty along with a big garden salad and a beer.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome!!! For some reason green onion is amazing inside these things. I think because it’s a quick bite and not a long lasting Raw onion type bite. Also note they will continue to darken as they sit. Feel free to use the lard at a lower temp. 315°-325° Just so long as they are not "Soaking" in the lard they should be ok.

Bumping this, it's well worth the effort at least once. I've made them a good few times they are good everytime.

Comment

Hmm, I am going to have hide some for leftovers. Fantastic job! Thanks

Comment

holehogg tgsnks for the bump. I missed this before. Great stuff Homey!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here