Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wedding Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me bring up something I've pondered concerning pulled chicken. I'm of two thoughts here:

1. Smoke whole or more likely halved birds, then pull and shred all the meat off the bone.

2. Smoke a mix of boneless skinless thighs and breasts, and shred it all up and mix the meat. The thighs give it moisture that I feel it needs. This will cook must faster than the bone-in chicken as well.

In neither case will pulled chicken be near as smokey as pulled pork - its not spending 12 hours in the smoker, more like an hour or two. I am just thinking of the easiest way to get the result I see when BBQ restaurants sell pulled chicken or pulled turkey.

Comment

I always smoke whole chickens skin on I go low and slow. The skin isn't crisp but for pulled who cares?The chicken itself is always moist. Good luck,and congratulations!

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks - whole is certainly the lowest cost per pound. Probably gonna do some trial runs and recipes on the chicken this coming week.

Do you have to do it the week before and freeze it? If so, it will heat up perfectly fine and no one will ever know it was frozen (the beauty of pulled pork), it just adds some steps of course. I'm just curious. If you could do it the day, even 2 days, before and forgo freezing it would save you lots of headache.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, in theory I could probably do it Thursday, and just spend the entire day cooking, starting things Wednesday night even. I’ve still gotta work out the smoker capacity issue though to pull it off. I’m really thinking the chicken might be something I pull off on the two Genesis gassers, reserving smoker capacity for the pork. Might also borrow my current son-in-laws electric smoker and charcoal grill for extra capacity.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Without adding capacity, I can smoke 9-10 butts at once on the smoker and 22” Performer. I am really thinking of pulling the trigger on a WSM 22 to add capacity I need. Amazon says it’s only $89 a month for 5 months, haha...
        Last edited by jfmorris; January 25, 2020, 04:56 PM.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh yes, the WSM 22, better known as the "smoking silo". jfmorris

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here