Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for reheating for an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for reheating for an event

First, let me thank you in advance for all your comments and advice.
    I have been asked to cook brisket, shoulders and sausage for an event that will have about 200 people.
    Usually I cook the day of and have no issues at all. I definitely prefer it this way.

This time however, I will have a ways to travel and the timing will be off, so I will have to cook the briskets ahead of time.
    I have done this before for personal use and the briskets turn out great. I pull them off when they are done, they are wrapped in foil or paper. Let them sit for about 30 minutes, then ice bath them to get them cooled quickly. The next day I will usually piece the briskets and vacuum seal / freeze for later.

This time I will need to reheat for the event instead of sealing and freezing. The briskets will be in foil and on ice during transit. Do I simply set up my smoker like I typically do and let the briskets come up to 160 or should they be warmed much faster? I am not sure which way is safer. Any advice or links to additional information is greatly appreciated. The food service manuals I have don't give me a clear answer and I am hoping all of you great amazing.ribs family can help.

Thank you!

Are you able to reheat sous vide? If so i would do what you usually do, piece them up, vac seal and keep in the fridge. When you get there reheat sous vide.

if not then im not sure to be honest.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Or just a big pot of hot water on the stove and drop the bag in.

Depending on time and distance to travel Cambro them in a suitably sized cooler packed in towels would be my first suggestion

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool Gotya covered there!

• MartinNC
      MartinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora I love your website. Nice trailers. Wish I could travel down and cook with you.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora Yeah we're at the feet of the master with Ahumadora, his rigs rock.

grantgallagher Not really. I will have at least four full briskets, maybe six. I thank you for the tip though! I may try that for small family meals.
    Last edited by MartinNC; January 24, 2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

jfmorris From everything I have been able to find, and I have a couple calls in to those who have more experience that I am waiting to hear from, it looks like the reheat will just be done on the smoker or an oven. As long as the meat is reheated to 160 and then does not go below 140-145 before serving it should be safe. For something as thick as brisket, by the time the center hits 145 the outside has been at 160 long enough to kill any pathogens. For already pulled pork, I would think you just have to cover and then stir it occasionally to keep it from drying out.

I am still looking for a reheating/time chart.

If I pull the pork before hand, I add a little apple juice to the pan at reheat time to keep it from drying out. Bacon drippings added during reheat can also add a great flavor.

As I find out more I will be glad to share. Congratulations on the wedding!

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        If you wrap the butts with foil during the cook, keep the drippings and use some of it to keep the pork most.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I moved my post to a separate thread after making it, just to keep discussion for my daughter's wedding BBQ planning from being mixed into your event. I appreciate the idea though, and will also plant to reheat pork and chicken to 160. I don't even know what temperatures the warmers can be set to, and am kicking myself for not checking.

Seems like there's no concensus on a plan yet. I might run the smoker a little higher than normal, even up to 300 to re-heat. The meat wouldn't stay in the danger zone as long as it would with a temp of 225, it wouldn't have as much time to dry out, and you may even be able to get a little more smoke on them.

Comment

• MartinNC
        MartinNC commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds right. Getting them up to temp quickly without drying them out is key.

I don't know what your cooking on but I use a drip pan under my butts / brisket / chuckies. Start with a little water in pan then catch all the drippings during the cook. I separate some of the fat and poor it over pulled / sliced meat when ready to serve. I have NEVER done as much as you are planning to do. Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here