Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp cooking

SWMBO and I camp (or glamp, I guess) between 3 and 6 times a year. I have a small propane grill, a white gas stove, and a propane burner. I also use cast iron and coals a bit. Rarely do I use the open fire for anything except the occasional foil pack. Dutch oven is something I'm just starting to learn.

Anyway, I'd like to up my game a bit. Looking for advice or direction to some good reading on camp cooking. Not really looking for recipes, more technique. Low and slow is challenging with the tools I have, but I am up for the challenge.

Kent Rollins comes to mind when thinking about dutch ovens and cooking on open fires, https://kentrollins.com/ He has a lot of videos on YouTube also.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a great place to start. Thanks for the tip.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Like all his recipes except his brisket, and his deep fried ribroadt.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Kent is the man.

If you glamp, a small pellet smoker makes a fine addition to your arsenal. Not much you can't do with a Joe and a tamale cooker (to make a mini smoker out of it). I know a guy that uses a small pressure cooker (non electric) a lot when he camps too.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Generally don't have electricity. Sometimes, but not often. The pressure cooker is an interesting idea.

When I went camping last September I brought my Jumbo Joe and my 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain (which I used as a grill/cooker, not a smoker although it is excellent as a smoker as well). Both are small, portable, versatile and have a surprising amount of capacity. I cooked for 4 adults and 6 children and those 2 side-by-side got the job done just fine. As far as technique goes, it really just depends on what you are using. I do know that tripods are available for camp fire cooking - the grate is suspended above the fire and cooks Santa Maria style.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here