Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burgers, baby backs, and whole brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burgers, baby backs, and whole brisket

Took a trip to Walmart again since they're the only one that sells whole brisket around me. They had plenty in stock again at the same great price. The biggest one happened to be the best looking one, near $60 but it was almost 17# too. I have that and the baby backs salted and wrapped in fridge to smoke tomorrow. Made burgers for tonight with ground chuck and Weber's Gourmet Burger seasoning, also got more Weber stuff as shown.

The brisket is huge, no idea how it'll fit. Plus I have the put the Smokenator hover grill on for the ribs. or should I try to cook in the coal grate area and ribs on the regular grate? Speaking of which, should I be foiling the coal grate area outside the Smokenator?

Thanks. Gallery link will be updated tomorrow obviously, as I give the items their rub and prepare the smoking.
    images, funny, image host, image sharing, reaction gif, viral images, current events, cute, visual storytelling, gif

Gotta love yellow tags.

I'd trim that brown stuff off that brisket that is on the edge in the foreground.

I always foil the grate opposite the briquettes. Helps with dripping and air flow to the briquettes.

Comment

I usually buy bigger briskets but I read somewhere recently that the bigger briskets (anything over 12 lbs.) are a bit tougher. Apparently the bigger briskets come from older steers and they are more "ornery"...lol. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I compete occasionally and this is good info to know
      TIA

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, I've had tough 9 pounders and tender 16+ pounders.

When I was a teenager, farming and raising cattle, I pen fed and butchered a steer (see picture) when it was a year-and-a- half old and weighed about 1,200 pounds. It was great, and would have graded Prime. Years later when I lived in Bradenton, Florida on 5 acres, I raised a calf and pen fed it the same way. But this time I butchered it when it was 6 months old and weighed about 500 pounds. The meat was so tough we couldn't eat it. I called an extension animal scientist at the University of Florida and asked him why the meat was so tough. He said I butchered it when it was too young. He said that while veal from young calves is tender, after the animal gets older, the meat is tough until it is over a year old and weighs over a thousand pounds. So in my opinion, the larger briskets should be the most tender. Also I wouldn't buy one that grades less than high choice. Prime is better. They can be ordered. Mister Brisket is one place (in Ohio) that carries prime brisket (http://www.misterbrisket.com/). Obviously Wagyu is better than that, but very pricy.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        My daughter is a horse judge in 4-H and recently won first place for the entire state of Florida. Very proud of her. Our youngest is in FFA and 4-H. Great programs!!

Cool, love the old pics

Comment

update to the album. It's a full house in there. Been there almost an hour, temp steady @ 240 but the probe had to go on hover rack, between the ribs and coals.

Comment

Sounds like you have some good eating ahead of you!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here