Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheating Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheating Ribs

I am giving ribs as a Christmas gift to a couple of family members this year. I will cooked them Christmas eve, vacuum seal, freeze and hand them over on Christmas day. Ordinarily, I would never do this, but these family members would rather reheat my ribs than have none at all.

On to my question: how should I instruct them to reheat the ribs? Heat them while they're still sealed? I've heard you can put Food Saver bags in boiling water to reheat some things, but not sure about the best approach for ribs.

Personally I don't mess with hot water/vac bag reheating, although conceivably that seems like the 'best' way. I find that they microwave up just fine! I cover 'em (single bones) with a paper towel and heat away!

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do as well.

My typical method is to wrap in foil and reheat in oven until warm and then unwrap, give a light coating of bbq sauce and finish under broiler or on grill until you get a nice crust

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also like to reheat them under the broiler with a bit of extra sauce. I don't find that the initial oven warming is necessary. By the time both sides after looking the way I like them, they are properly heated through.

Thanks for asking this question. I'll be watching for ideas. I haven't found a way to reheat my ribs that makes them nearly as good as the day they were cooked. In fact the ribs I enjoyed most on the day of the cook were some of the worst when reheated. I know I have a lot to learn, that's why I'm here.

Comment

I put them on a sheet pan covered with foil and the reheat at 375f with convection in my countertop oven. 10 minutes for Blasphemy Ribs or 15 minutes for slabs of three or four ribs.

Comment

My brother does the oven method. If my wife and I are the only ones eating the leftovers, I do Huskee 's method. If I am reheating for a group, I kind of do a mgaretz blasphemy rib thing. I cut the ribs into single bones. I mix a little BBQ sauce and rub with water and put it in the bottom of a crock pot. I then put the ribs in, bone side down. I start the crock pot on high for about an hour and then turn it to low or warm. It works really well for office parties. I have noticed that the ribs actually taste a bit smokier with this method than they do on the day I cooked them. The time it takes really depends on how many ribs you cram in the crock pot, how big it is and how well it heats things up. Two hours usually works.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          The crockpot thing sounds like a good method to try for serving ribs at a party.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris , it is. I use that method for office potlucks because getting up at 2am to cook isn't appealing. Also for early parties (Super Bowl etc) I cook the ribs the day before and the tri-tip the day of the event.

I will thaw them and heat them up in the microwave while still sealed in the bag. This seems to retain moisture and smoke flavor, and it's easy!

Comment

Food Saver vacuum bags are great for Sous Vide. So they work extremely well warming up ribs as well. My son does it all the time for all sorts of Q.

I personally never put meat in a microwave. To warm up meat it certainly doesn't need cooking again, just warming up.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            Personally I don't mess with hot water/vac bag reheating, although conceivably that seems like the 'best' way. I find that they microwave up just fine! I cover 'em (single bones) with a paper towel and heat away!

I do exactly the same. It works great. It doesn’t take long, 30-45 seconds is usually enough.

Comment

Cold right out of the fridge is good. Great breakfast food.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                That too! Ribs are like pizza, cold is good.

• RustyHaines
                RustyHaines commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm with you there bep35

Room temp. Ribs and a cold beer,,,,,perfect

Comment

Boiling water in cooler, drop them in there, sealed

Comment

I bring a bot of water to boil and then set the bag in the water and let warm for 20 minutes or so. For me ribs and pork tastes like the day it was cooked using this method.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                    Alabama Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do you turn the heat off at the time you put the ribs into the boiling water, turn it to low or what?. Your method sounds interesting to me.

• DavidNorcross
                    DavidNorcross commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No I let it continue to boil. This method works perfectly for me. I did fail to mention that these are vacuum sealer bags and the meat is sealed. Hope this helps.

What type of bags do you use, DavidNorcross and Ernest , vacuum sealer bags? I know that Ziploc bags like to spring leaks in boiling water--or at any temps much above 158°F. Maybe you've had luck with them nonetheless?

Kathryn

Comment

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    VacBags brand on Amazon. They're thicker and cheaper than foodsaver bags

• DavidNorcross
                    DavidNorcross commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry. I should have been more clear. I vacuum seal and place into the water. I also indicated that it takes 20 minutes. It really depends just depends. But for pulled pork if we leave in the boiling water for 20 minutes or so the meat is hot and ready to eat. Hope this helps.

I always make way more than I think can be eaten and then have fewer leftovers than planned. I just nike them. Frankly I eat them cold as often as I bother heating them up. Man I like me some leftover ribs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here