Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about small sized smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about small sized smoking

I am still trying to find the perfect blend of rub and sauce for ribs. I am throwing some ribs on this afternoon for my daughter and her kids. I don't want to mess with their favorite recipe but I have some rubs and sauces that I want to try. So I am thinking of splitting four or five bones off of one slab and doing my experimenting on these.

My question: Is this a practical idea? I know that the ends of ribs (flaps) cook faster and get hard while the rest of the rack is awesome. How can I cook my experiments without impacting the regular ribs? I normally do a 2.2.1 but I am afraid if I do the same thing to smaller piece I will end up with tastyy charcoal.

I would cut the ribs part and season them accordingly. There is nothing wrong with doing it that way.

Then you can cook them the same way you always do. Do the experiment on the ribs that are closer to the middle but, I really would not worry about it. What kind of cooker are you using to make these.

Comment

• LDimick
      LDimick commented
      Editing a comment
      A camp chef. So it is pretty controllable

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I would simply cut them into two ribs sections and run the test. LDimick

If you're worried about overcooking the smaller piece(s), why not make all the pieces about the same size and cook them more like "Blasphemy ribs"? I've cut ribs into 1 to 3 bone sections (meatier, bigger -> 1 bone, smaller, less meaty -> 3 bone) and cooked them with the Blasphemy ribs method. It worked out well. See: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/porknography-ribs-pulled-pork-ham-etc/398047-blasphemy-ribs

Comment

• LDimick
      LDimick commented
      Editing a comment
      That is EXACTLY what I ended up doing. Cut two slabs into thirds and used the center bones for my experiment.

The kids like a sweeter rib. So I use Susie's sweet rub recipe and add some honey, butter and brown sugar and topped with Sweet Baby Ray's. Just a touch too sweet for me.

So the experiment is to try one slab using MMD and everything else the same. The other got MMD and the some BLues Hogs vinegar sauce and will finish with the blue stuff.

You should be fine doing it this way especially if you have some kind of protection from radiant heat. Some people like to cut them into individual bones, on this site that technique is known as "Blasphemy Ribs."

Comment

All good advice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here