Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me out folks- "shawarma", what part of speech is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me out folks- "shawarma", what part of speech is it?

I understand what shawarma is, that's not my question. My question is can shawarma be used as an adjective (style of cooking) and a verb (the process itself)? Or is it just a noun (the food)?

I am thinking of combining Rotisserie And Shawarma Cooking as one channel, but I don't want to do that if it really wouldn't make sense to the English majors out there.

I'd go with the adjective, style of cooking.
    There are shawarma joints in every mall in this area and run the gauntlet of middle eastern countries from Israeli to Lebanese to Iranian each one having its own distinctive attributes.
    My wife and kids love them and a chicken/rice dish called "Roks", I think that's the spelling used.
    I can do without it, too much garlic sauce and some of the hot sauces used can be vicious, and I like hot sauce....

Comment

Shawarma is a style of cooking with regionally distinct spices, meats and serving methods. I believe that the common factor is the method in which it is cooked. If I were in your shoes, I would put it in the rotisserie section and/or as a subsection of it. Your question of what it is - style, process or food could be debated forever. I believe it is all of the mentioned. I majored in English for a semester or two. I majored in a few things for a semester or two. I'm sure glad there wasn't a four year graduation requirement.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I miss the like button.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB - Me too. You would have received a few today from me!!!

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        You still did ok the only major I had was in the defence force.

I don’t know. Can I get shawarmad or don’t shawarma (as Bogart) that sandwich my friend.

Comment

OK, suspicions confirmed that it can encompass all. Thanks!

Comment

I think you can combine. The spit/rod I think is what they all have in common??

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            I understand what shawarma is, that's not my question.
            I'm 77 years young and have never seen or heard that term before.
            I think I'll have to pass on bookmarking whatever forum you put it in.

Comment

Originally posted by dubob View Post
              I'm 77 years young and have never seen or heard that term before.
              I think I'll have to pass on bookmarking whatever forum you put it in.
              Lol. Shawarma is essentially vertical rotisserie, or spit. That's how they make gyros (pronounce year-ohs), the original and authentic version of Taco Bell's gordita you might say

Click image for larger version  Name:	shawarma.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.7 KB ID:	762989Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.4 KB ID:	762988

Comment

• crazytown3
                crazytown3 commented
                Editing a comment
                I hit the Like button for the pictures. Now I'm hungry.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Gyros are da bomb. Can’t live without them.

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 but it needs to be fairly authentic. I've had some spiced rubber they called gyros, but I thought that was being generous.

According to good old Wikipedia, "Shawarma is an Arabic rendering of Turkish çevirme [tʃeviɾˈme] 'turning', referring to the turning rotisserie". Originally for lamb or mutton it's used with a variety of meats. That being said I agree it's a cooking process more than it is the thing you are cooking.

It's obviously easy to use as a noun, a little more difficult as a verb. "I plan on shawarmaing that lamb" ????

Perhaps an adverb? "I plan on shawarma cooking that lamb" ???

Oh well I give up. Ask David Joachim, he's the wordsmith here...

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep!

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I like the verb version. Sounds like an elaborate scam or sumptin. "I was shawarma’d of my home and all belongings" :-)

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik sort of like "I was Shanghai'd in the alley"

Didn’t they go to a Shawarma joint at the end of the Avengers?

Comment

Shawarma
                Attached Files

Comment

AVENGERS Shawarma
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I LOVE this scene. So long and random.

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mythbusters reenacted this scene near the end of their series. It was spot on.

Shawarma is a noun. Scampi is a noun. But that won't stop some folks from using them incorrectly as adjectives.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nouns turn into verbs over time. Google being a prime example. "I Googled shawarma, found out how to Shawarma."

Hmm. So how do you explain Karko (conch) Shawarma. That certainly was not done on a vertical rotisserie. (having fun here)

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    also important, how do you pronounce "conch"? Is it with a soft 'ch' like bench, or do you say "conk"?

• DiverDriver
                    DiverDriver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee love it! I say Karko which is Papiamento! My wife from Cape Cod pronounced it Konk! So konk it is

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here