Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my food still ok to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my food still ok to eat?

Had a cook planned Sunday. Two pork shoulders on the pellet pooper followed by some short ribs that were pulled from a 72 hour SV bath Sunday morning. The shoulders were on and I started feeling pretty miserable. Was able to stick it out until they were around 160, but decided I had to put them in pans, cover with foil, and move inside to the oven so my wife could finish them because I needed to crash in bed. The ribs, fully cooked in their vacuum sealed bags, would stay in the fridge until I could get to them.

That was Sunday. It is now Friday and I finally feel somewhat human again. Ribs have been sitting in the fridge, sealed. Pork was pulled and sitting in the fridge in pans covered with foil, not sure how tightly covered. Is it too late to eat/freeze this stuff?

I'd personally toss it, you just recovered from some malady and food poisoning isn't going to help.
    One thing I have learned thru this site and at the Moderator's insistance if its even questionable no use making people sick.
    There is an article by Meathead on this site about this subject.

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I was thinking. Guess I was just looking for confirmation before tossing about 9 lbs of cooked pork.

I’ve had food poisoning 1 time and that was something I never want to go through again. 2 days maximum for cooked food in the refrigerator for me. I’d rather not make others sick too.

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never had it, but never want it.

I always take a look at https://stilltasty.com/ to get their range. They give 3-4 days as the range for cooked pork in a refrigerator. It would be tossed in our house since about 6 days have elapsed.

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      They came off late Sunday night, so it has been about 4 1/2 days since cooked. But if 3-4 days is the cutoff, I'm not going to risk it. Especially after what I'vw gone through this week.

If I have any doubts I give it to my dogs. Wait a minute, you are a dog! ;-)

Comment

SV ribs are OK. If they stayed in the bath long enough to be pastuerized I don't you have ro worry.

Comment

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be my take as well. 72 hours pasteurized them and they are sealed. I'd finish and eat the ribs for sure, but toss the shoulder.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Concur completely

I regularly keep pulled pork in the fridge and eat it for a week b/c there is typically too much of it. Never been bad for me but to each their own and def not recommending it per se.

Comment

Try it, let’s see what happens! 👍

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          LoL

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmao!!!

I've eaten smoked pulled pork that was 7 days old in the fridge, maybe 2 or 3 mo ago. Not that I really wanted to, but I was hungry. Heated up like new, tasted great, and I was fine. YMMV.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto, lol!

My wife and I frequently eat pulled pork that is 6-7 days old since there is only the 2 of us. If you are worried freeze it right now. Then on the day of serving heat it up to at least 165. Use small bags so it freezes fast.

Comment

“Once the pork is cooked, you can chill it in the refrigerator for up to a week before continuing, or just go straight to the finishing steps. @

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            So SV ribs should be okay.

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely - as mentioned before, they are fully pasteurized. Sealed pasteurized meats are okay - I use them at a weeks gap a lot.

I’d eat it.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I would, too. But I wouldn't suggest anybody else follow my example.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 Yeah, I never been accused of being the most intelligent guy in the room.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey For me, if it passes "the sniff test," I'm probably gonna eat it.

Here is the problem I have - I would eat it. However, in your scenario my wife would have thrown it out. She really is the boss when it comes to food safety. Unfortunately, she has the credentials to go with it. When she goes away to visit her mom, I throw all her rules out the window and I never get sick.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I would be worried when she starts going to see her mom more often.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey - hahahahahahaha. So many responses are going on in my mind that are making me laugh but that would be flagged by someone. Good job!!!! I am really chuckling at it hard.

I would freeze it today and make sure to eat it the same day when you reheat.

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about 4 or 5 days for the pulled pork. It might’ve dried out a bit if it wasn’t sealed up. I’d eat some to see how it is.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here