Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UV Sanitizer for Wet Aging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGo37
    replied
    I just know that I wet-aged a long time in the USN, but one day I received a year of radiation exposure in about 10 mins. I retired and have dry-aged since then, and seem to be okay. I'd dry age after any questionable exposure.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Although I routinely wet age cryovaced meat, unless I let it go a long time the results aren’t that pronounced to me. What I prefer is dry aging in Umai bags. You might want to consider dry aging once you’ve opened your cryovaced protein.

Leave a comment:

• JGrana
    commented on 's reply
    Good point, I hadn't considered that.

• JGrana
    replied
    Thanks folks, I won't take the risk!

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    I agree do not try to reseal Cryovaced meat. It has been exposed to all the pathogens in your kitchen.

• IowaGirl
    replied
    I have never looked into the reasons why cryovac meat is safe to wet age, but I accept that it can be done, given reasonable precautions. What I do know is cryovac meat is not sterilized, but it's certainly packaged under well-controlled, highly sanitary conditions. No way a kitchen -- or a butcher's countertop -- can meet those standards.

You run a very high risk killing off desirable microbes and introducing pathogenic microbes, so this doesn't sound like the wisest idea. IMO, don't tempt fate -- freeze the 2 sets of ribs you don't want to cook now and give up on wet aging them. Or buy an unopened cryovac package of 4 sets of ribs plus 2 more, wet age the cryovac ribs, and enjoy the others now.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    No experience. No comment.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    Just a thought from many years ago when I worked in a research lab at Hopkins. Since that was over 40 years ago things might have changed. UV-C wavelengths pass readily through good quality glass but not so well through plastics. Unless the bags pass the wavelengths then you can’t count on it. Also, the organism needs direct exposure for it to work. If they are hidden in folds or crevice they are protected from exposure.

Leave a comment:

• JGrana
    started a topic UV Sanitizer for Wet Aging

UV Sanitizer for Wet Aging

I know that wet aging a brisket or beef ribs that are still in their cryovac bag is the way to go. Once you open the bag, all bets are off - even if re-bagging in a home vacuum sealer.

I was in my local butcher shop and asked for some full plate (4 bone) beef ribs. The butcher came out with a nicely cryovac'ed bag that had 4 plates. I wanted to cook up just 2 for some friends this weekend. No problem, nice butcher cut open the bag and we picked out two.

What I really would have wanted was to purchase all 4. Cut the bag open at home, vacuum seal 2 ribs and cook the other two. I realized what I really wanted was a way to re-sterilize the vacuum bagged ones so I could wet age them.

So, came across this UV-C tube on Amazon:

I could mount it in a spare cooler or large insulated box (like Crowd Cow boxes) and UV blast the just sealed bags.
    According to my research, maybe 10 minutes of exposure.
    Then I could wet age for a few weeks!

Anyone have any experience in UV-C sanitizing. Maybe Jerod Broussard ?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here