Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What temp does wood smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What temp does wood smoke?

I am contemplating getting either a smoke tube or Mo's smoking pouch. Since I prefer to smoke meats instead of grilling them I wanted to find out the temperature of when meat starts to smoke. If I put wood in the pouch and set it for high smoke will that be warm enough to produce additional smoke from the pouch or do I need to look at creating a second fire with the smoke tube.

You can't just set a smoking tube in a cooker and expect it to ignite (unless you're cooking at or above 700 deg. F or so). You'll need to light it yourself or set it just over a burner if using a gasser.

Here's a detailed article from the AR free site that explains it all: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...wood-smoke-and

Comment

• LDimick
      LDimick commented
      Editing a comment
      OK Thanks. What I thought that I read was that you have to light the tube with a torch or something and that you could put smaller pieces of wood into the pouch and the heat from the grill will cause them to smoke. I'm not opposed to lighting a tube but if I can put the smoking pouch in without lighting it that might be a win too.

Different woods smoke at different temps, the range is somewhere between 570-750F. This in reality the burn temp but you control the environment to only produce smoke. I use a SS box and put it over a burner on high whitle preheating my gas grill. After about 15-20 minutes it is smoking. It will continue to smoke for about an hour or I can add more wood chips. I do lose some grill space. A tube has the advantage that once lit on one end you can place it against a side and not lose much room.

Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 11, 2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• LDimick
      LDimick commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! It sounds like I should use the bag as I am trying to keep the temp down low. Although I could like the Mo's pouch on the searing grill and toss it in... NOw I am just confusing myself.

Things I like about Tubes include: a) after proper lighting, you don't need to place it over heat for it continue producing smoke b) using pellets in the tube is convenient c) my tubes produce smoke for 5 hrs.

Comment

I have a smoke box for my gas grill and I set it on the flavour bars above the burner and I get smoke. I use pellets from my pellet smoker but I have used wood chunks as well with success. I did this yesterday with the last of my hot peppers from our garden. I ground into powder today.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here