Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMoking some chickens...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMoking some chickens...

Spathcocked, Oklahoma Joe Bronco drum smoker (hanging), lumps of pecan added. Cooking at 275. Last time I did it much slower. We'll compare. Click image for larger version  Name:	smokechick1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	742992
    Last edited by fracmeister; September 13, 2019, 11:30 AM. Reason: Rudy's Turkey rub. Because I had it laying around.

Looking good!

Comment

FInished them off. The drum smokers make it too easy to get moist chicken with crispy skin. MUCH easier than the pellet grill or weber imho. Sorry that the "done" pic didnt get taken before the cutting began. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	743086Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	743085

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Ain't thing one wrong with yer "Done" pic, amigo...still makin me drool!

Delicious lookin yardbird!

Looking good. How are you liking the Bronco drum cooker?

Comment

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        for 189$ this was a real steal. I am yet to use it for a long cook but just having the xtra surface area and the ability to hang stuff has been great. It is taller than the better known pit barrel smoker and you can hang a whole rack without cutting them in half, folding or risking burning the bottom section

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know - thanks.

Looks good. How much time do you think you saved by spatchcocking your bird vs. doing it whole.

Comment

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure time saving like how you are thinking is relevant. I like to slice up the bird just like I do turkeys (someone cheated on the one that is cut up). In that case the spatchcocking makes it simpler for me to slice the way I like to do it. (which is 90 degrees to what you see someone did here)

I have MCS....and been looking at some $$$$ coolers. But this has me thinking if a drum smoker is what I should be looking for.

Hmmmmm. How’s the smoke flavor. I have an electric smoker that does well. But a bit lite on smoke flavor. I’m looking for something that has more of that. Thoughts?

or maybe I need to use my Weber more often.

Comment

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I dropped in 3 golf ball sized pieces of pecan wood on the coals moe or less 1 at a time and got PLENTY of smoke for my taste.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here