Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your all time favorite backyard BBQ meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your all time favorite backyard BBQ meal?

Inspired by mstruth post about Cornell Chicken. What is your all time favorite backyard BBQ meal.

Mine is:
    Cornell Chicken
    Hobo Potatoes
    Boozie Corn on the Cob

Cornell Chicken

BBQ sauce / marinade

1 egg
    1 cup veg oil
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3 minced cloves of garlic

I make mine a little different than the original recipe.

I’ll also marinade mine for a few hours before grilling over charcoal.

I’ll then mop the marinade over the chicken ever 10 to 15 minutes right before I flip it and right after I flip it making sure not to mop after I flip it for the last time.

Hobo Potatoes

8 medium sized White Potatoes
    1 large Sweet Onion
    1 large head of Garlic
    1 stick of Butter

Tear off 4 large sheets of wide heavy duty aluminum foil so when you fold the sheet in half it makes a square.

Cube up the white potatoes into about 1 1/2” cubes. Place equal amounts of the Potatoes onto each piece of foil.

Course chop the onion and equally divided between the four pieces of foil

Peal the garlic cloves and split each one in half. Divide up between the four foil squares.

Put two tablespoons of Butter on each foil square and fold up and seal the foil squares.

We usually cook these foil pouches in / around the coals of a well burnt down campfire. Depending on the heat output it will take 30 to 45 minutes to
    cook the Hobo Potatoes.

Boozie Corn on the Cob

12 ears of freshly picked Sweet Corn
    Stale Flat Warm Cheap Beer
    PBR works great

Soak the ears of corn while they
    are still in the husks in the beer all morning. If you do not have enough beer to cover the ears of corn just add water until covered.

Remove the corn from the beer soak and place on the coals of a well burnt down camp fire. Turning frequently cook for about 12 to 15 minutes.

If desired peel the corn (being very careful because it’s extremely hot) and grill over charcoal for a few minutes. For that authentic backyard BBQ taste use
    Squeeze Parkay on the corn.

If I can only pick one: fatty, smoky salty & heavily peppered brisket point.

Edit: ssandy_561 oops, I missed the "meal" part:

-good garlic bread/toast, perfectly browned
    -garlic & butter mashed redskin potatoes, salt shaker nearby
    -fresh Romaine salad with freshly shredded parmesan, pepper, & Newman's Caesar dressing

If I'm hungry enough for dessert after all that, my sister in law's huckleberry-peach crisp with fresh homemade whipped cream.

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      What are you eating with it?

Brisket, pulled pork, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans...and plenty of beer!

Comment

^^^^Add a chuckie and you read my mind.
      Then there's no discounting plain old hamburgers and hot dogs too if you want instant gratification.

Comment

Has to be tender smoked beef ribs, roasted potato wedges, and one of the missus’ Wonderful salads. Plain old (good quality) vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Comment

I forgot about hobo potatoes, they are fabulous.

It is my meal, so I can make it as big as I’d like. Give me:

cheeseburgers
          hot dogs
          ribs
          chili
          corn
          cole slaw
          potato salad
          Caprese tomatoes
          Caprese roasted peppers
          baked beans

If you ask me to pare it down, it’s cheeseburgers, corn, cole slaw, and baked beans. There is no food as delicious as a righteous cheeseburger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	803C34B7-E4E7-497D-8114-B29FC1A0EE0E.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	741748

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            This.

I’m not picky so any meal that includes a good protein with baked beans and smoked cheesy potatoes that I can share with family and friends. It’s the family and friends that make the meal....not the food.

Comment

WIBS! As in Amazing! Yup, WIBS! As for sides, who gives a rip, they’re sides, deserving a nibble.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              In my experience, one can not only have wibs as a featured protein, but also some other wibs, as a side... (I jus use a few diffewent wubs, an, wah-lahh! )

Granted, 90+% of th time, yall know I'll be makin some beans, too...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 10, 2019, 08:14 AM. Reason: w vs r in diffewent lol

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, Wibs & beans, nuff!

In addition to Mosca's list, rising to the top of out favorites is picanha steaks skewered and grilled churrasco style over open fire served with chimmichurri, roasted root vegetables, salad and garlic bread. Oh, and a martini and cigar.

Comment

Beef, cheeseburger, brisket, steak, chuckie etc................

Grilled/roasted sweet potato wedges, my mom’s creole slaw and homemade vanilla ice cream with brownies.

Or pork, I’ll eat pork too, prefer pulled pork. Ok, chicken, is probably on the menu too.

Comment

Short ribs with a side of baby backs and a side of STL's. Just to appease the wife I will let her serve potato salad and her grandma's recipe vinegar based slaw.

Comment

My one favorite today would be Beef Chuck smoked and pulled, served with caramelized onions and peppers. From there the list goes on ...!

Comment

Um...whatever I or someone else is making on that day...

Comment

Short ribs, baked potatoes, and stir fried green beans with onions.

Comment

I have to agree with FireMan, and vote for WIBS (RIBS!).. I don't care if they are baby back or St. Louis either. I'm partial lately to mgaretz 's Blasphemy style of cooking too. Sides - baked beans, potato salad and maybe some Mac-n-cheese or slaw to round it out. The ribs are where its at for me.

Comment

• Argoboy
                          Argoboy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree as well Ribs are my favourite.

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          +1 Wibs!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here