Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mince Meat! (Pork and Beef)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mince Meat! (Pork and Beef)

Hello out there!
    I was just wondering what is the real safe temp. for a 50/50 ground beef and pork recipe..
    I do a lot of grilling with beef, lamb and pork combos. Some times its 50/50, some times its beef 75% plus other meat.

Its almost always a low and slow, except for kabobs.

So when using different types of meat, where is the average?
    Thanks!!

Any ground/minced beef I want 160. If it is simply cubed and the outer layers can all be hit with heat I just need them browned.

Comment

What Ive got going is 2lbs beef brisket ground/ground pork (50/50) in three meatballs, wrapped in bacon, with mini bell peppers stuffed with cream cheese and feta in the middle.

Baked at 250 to 115, then adding bbq sauce baste. Increased temp to 350. Using therm, when it gets to 150, ill broil to 155 and let it do the rest its self...

Sound right?
      Last edited by thegame101; September 1, 2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, should be good with carryover. If the cooks with the Jack in the Box E. coli outbreak in the 90's would have at least cooked the burgers to over 150 internal no one would have likely gotten sick. They figure many of the burgers never got much over 130.

To be concise: 160F ... unless you’re interested in safe cooking to lower temps using sous vide ... followed by careful searing, of course.

Comment

USDA recommendation is 165 you can probably get by with a little less but I don't go much less. If I grind my own I will go 155.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        USDA ground beef is 160, poultry is 165.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here