Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Foil Melting on Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Foil Melting on Meat

I have always dry brined my meat, covered it in foil and stuck it in the refrigerator over night. Lately the aluminum has literally been dissolving onto the meat. A quick google search tells me that it has to do with salt/acid, but I just find it strange that after years of doing the same thing I'm just now having this happen.

So is saran wrap the answer?

Or no wrap. I don't wrap when I dry brine. As far as the aluminium foil issue, that is definitely the salt. Amazing that you've never experienced the problem before. I would at least expect that the side of the foil touching the meat would have discoloured (gone black). One of the main reasons that brine recipes tell you to use a non-reactive container like plastic or glass.
    Last edited by pkadare; August 30, 2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I dry brine chicken, brisket, etc, on a pan in the fridge, unwrapped, usually on an elevated stainless steel rack so that its not laying on the pan (the wife has one that is a perfect fit for the jelly roll pan or whatever it is that I always grab).

If you must wrap, I agree that plastic wrap would be better, as it won't react with the salt. That said, I for sure never had foil dissolve on me! I serve and store most of my cooked meats from foil pans too.

Comment

I’m in the no wrap category unless I’m going over 24 hrs, then put some plastic wrap if any longer. It’s because I’m a genius. Actually, never thought of using aluninimum. Must be gross seeing the little flakes melting into the meat. I think pics would be cool. 🕶

Comment

Having worked for an aluminum company for over 10 years part of that in internal audit definitely don't use foil to wrap your brined meat. I use plastic wrap on anything over 12 hours to hold juices in.

Comment

I never cover any of the meats I dry brine. Leave them uncovered in the fridge. You'll be just fine.

Comment

Mainly I wrap because my wife is convinced that unwrapped meat wakes up at night and walks around the refrigerator touching and contaminating everything, so saran wrap it is.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                I wonder if when the chickens are walkin around in yer fridge they cluck. 🕶

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I really like your wife. She's got a good perspective.

Kathryn

I usually dry brine stuff in the butcher paper it came in from the butcher. If I'm doing skin on chicken then I'll go open air. Marinading will either be in a bowl or zip lock bag. I've never used foil for uncooked meats although that's my go-to for leftovers.
              Last edited by Attjack; August 31, 2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

lasagna cell syndrome. Use plastic wrap to dry brine instead.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This.

My issue is the wifes nose is super sensitive to meat smell that saturates the fridge. I always wrap in plastic then foil over that, where the foil is simply a second protective leak collector.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like you need a beer fridge.

Meathead & Blonder have a nice article explaining this. I too stick with plastic wrap if pork or no wrap if beef.

Comment

Aluminum is used in boats. The USCG has rigid inflatable patrol boats with aluminum hulls. That stay in the drink 24/7. Salt doesn’t dissolve aluminum!

Acid does. Also salt plus copper creates a nasty galvanic reaction that will severely corrode aluminum. But if food is "melting"’aluminum it’s horribly burnt.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    pkadare , alumimium bears, now that would be
                    Really cool.

• pkadare
                    pkadare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FireMan Got to love the English language.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FireMan foil bears exposed (or bared if you will) bear little resemblance to boats, but whatever floats your boat.

I'm with FireMan . If the dry brine goes longer than 24 hours then I wrap in plastic wrap. I always put dry brined meats on a rack set into a jelly roll-type pan. Juices contained. Meat surface stays moist enough to pick up all that delicious smoke on smoking day.

Kathryn

Comment

I use these for all dry brining.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I use a tray with a rack and tooth pics to keep the plastic wrap off the meat. I also leave areas where the plastic wrap didn't fully cover so air can move around the meat on the rack.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here