Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game day food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game day food

So, now that my wife and I are getting our patio closer to a hang out outdoor kitchen, we also added a TV to the area (well one we have dedicated to it, but we bring it in at night. I am really looking forward to College Gameday, and to some extent NFL as well, and inviting friends over for a game day and getting the chance to cook all day while watching. What are some of your favorite game day - Home tailgating food on the grill? I am thinking I can always run a long smoke the night before and prepare a pork shoulder or a few different pulled tacos. but, looking for all the appetizer style cooks.

But, What are your favorite Game day cooks?

Inside out bacon cheeseburgers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aEpBlcp_dqK9Bo2WdZ4UtcwdAL9FK3ghMO416KMq1c3-LUS6uIXmiVHnODF6BXjnDgjGa7htwe9O9MTPVRVLphCTzjHIjGJ5uiusWVqjZVhZq6Aij-o6R1Aj0rRabn8NLztZVi4EW2RoBT_-hmONv0TZGkk0KbrCHUHg-ey5bpkAfGd1d1qrBSeOqY1-YngRKoYWnf-yHTtjuZayKxw7ehYqRNUk7UoJxiwjFIYjCkzjm7BMw4gLDO37HiaTVIB
Views:	187
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	736333

Do you have a covered spot? I leave this TV out there all the time.

Name:	kFTj7V8CUZ5qJcRnnQfG68Z_b6c10-w-vqQgWRc14NKkZFZP8UcuZ5JRALupkzJW6lVncXgvXq-dOWQG8RWYybuwoNxG0iX9tE7J9dgPSRtsWVx10ufgmnqdSFJJ4SCIagqLFZ42mbObnPWK5llchnDoD6ufm1gRtjjB-NYdGAgAScpiZkKFtRQ2OhhsbAz4k0FDVO_rMSAQdQ_XuBR663OylOV-ezsAp4JRH_acjYO8LaSzhQBNYgDBydXWvhL
Views:	154
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	736332

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Right now, I just have a 10x10 tent up and 2 patio umbrellas all summer, The hopes are to budget for a permanent structure built like this. Your outdoor kitchen looks pretty amazing. Would love to see more photos of it, for consideration on building laying out reasons.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      The truth is I've never finalized the layout so I've never bothered to take pics for the outdoor kitchen thread. I've been using it extensively to figure it all out. Hopefully, I'm getting close. Right now I'm testing out locations for the EVO grill and I'm getting ready to move the refrigerators soon to make way for a future upgrade to the gas grill. I won't consider it done until I build out the lower cabinets.
      Last edited by Attjack; August 28, 2019, 10:29 PM.

I'd say my favorite is smoked wings! Or chili! Looking forward to football as well, brother .

Comment

ABT's - jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese wrapped in bacon. Made some over the weekend (forgot to take pics) - they are great!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...poppers-recipe

I omitted the cheddar and used onion and chive cream cheese, and I cooked the bacon about halfway in the microwave before wrapping the peppers so the grill time was cut down a bit and the peppers kept their crunch. I got that tip from someone on here, can't remember who though.

Comment

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        ABTs are my go-to, as well. I like use half a slice of bacon and wrap top to bottom (vs. around the circumference) to minimize the bacon overlap which always stays soggy and then as the bacon cooks and tightens up, it seems to hold the same better and stay on the pepper without needing a toothpick (although i just noticed my avatar is one of the few times I wrapped it around the circumference!!!)

• ScottyC13
        ScottyC13 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm learning all the acronyms on the site and this one made be laugh out loud! ABT's

Wings are always a good go-to. If you want something more substantial some drums and thighs can be done fairly easily and quickly.

A cast iron pan filled with chips, cheese, smoked meat, and other nacho stuff would go great on a grill. And a dutch oven full of chili using leftover brisket, smoked chicken, or whatever you have is great once it starts getting a bit cooler.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that idea of a Dutch oven that has something to just be scooped out and thrown on chips. and maybe even making the chips in a oil heating up in a cast iron, make them as you need them. little extra cool factor.

You have to have Brats boiled in beer and then smoked on the grill with buns and sauerkraut and German sweet and hot mustard. Lots of beer in a tub with ice. LOL

Since your in WI you know what I mean. You can make them appetizer size by wrapping in rye bread roll and cutting in pieces.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I am definitely a fan of brats with mustard and onion. My friends are definitely a fan of my brats already. Johnsonville just asked me for the use of the photos from a recent brat cook. ALthough, I do a slow 2 hour cook, not in beer. But, lot's of beer in my mouth.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        mountainsmoker, I had some sauerkraut left over from making a Reuben awhile back, and I bought some Johnsonville brats and made them in a bun just like you described. I hadn't had any done like that in years, I forgot how good they are. I need to eat them more often.

I have learned having Super Bowl parties and backyard cookouts in the past that the best thing to do is

KISS

Keep
      It
      Simple
      Stupid

I’ve spent hours / days making complex dishes thinking this will really bowl them over and most people just go for simple things like wings, nachos, meatballs, cocktail wieners, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        kind of good advice for most things in my opinion. And especially for game day cooking.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I second this. When the meal itself is not the main event, guests are going to be a lot less blown away than you might want them to be. Besides, the point is to socialize and watch sports, not to slave away all day cooking a bunch of overly fancy stuff.

ABT

Bacon Candy Chicken Bites
      https://howtobbqright.com/2018/09/27...-bites-recipe/

Moink Balls
      https://howtobbqright.com/2014/09/18...a-moink-balls/

Cheesy Jalapeño Skillet Dip
      https://howtobbqright.com/2018/09/27...o_skillet_dip/

chimichurri steak skewers
      https://howtobbqright.com/2014/11/04...steak-skewers/

Plan in advance make as much as possible ahead as you can. I made these last Superbowl along with ribs, beans, and chili.

Go Pats!

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the look of those chimichurri steak skewers.

Pork belly burnt ends is always a favorite!

Comment

Wings for sure, Oktoerfest sausages in beer, Chili and now the Avocado Bombs that somebody invented this week.
        Lots of iced cold beer, in cans, glass shatters on patios.
        Big jar of Tums....
        Collage football for me, I can't get interested in the NFL anymore.
        I've tried to get into the CFL being Canadian and all but its just too darn painful to watch.

Comment

Pulled pork sandwices and smoked sausages are always a hit with my buddies. I agree with ssandy_561 to keep it simple and not overthink it.

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
            Inside out bacon cheeseburgers.

Name:	aEpBlcp_dqK9Bo2WdZ4UtcwdAL9FK3ghMO416KMq1c3-LUS6uIXmiVHnODF6BXjnDgjGa7htwe9O9MTPVRVLphCTzjHIjGJ5uiusWVqjZVhZq6Aij-o6R1Aj0rRabn8NLztZVi4EW2RoBT_-hmONv0TZGkk0KbrCHUHg-ey5bpkAfGd1d1qrBSeOqY1-YngRKoYWnf-yHTtjuZayKxw7ehYqRNUk7UoJxiwjFIYjCkzjm7BMw4gLDO37HiaTVIB
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	736333

Do you have a covered spot? I leave this TV out there all the time.

Name:	kFTj7V8CUZ5qJcRnnQfG68Z_b6c10-w-vqQgWRc14NKkZFZP8UcuZ5JRALupkzJW6lVncXgvXq-dOWQG8RWYybuwoNxG0iX9tE7J9dgPSRtsWVx10ufgmnqdSFJJ4SCIagqLFZ42mbObnPWK5llchnDoD6ufm1gRtjjB-NYdGAgAScpiZkKFtRQ2OhhsbAz4k0FDVO_rMSAQdQ_XuBR663OylOV-ezsAp4JRH_acjYO8LaSzhQBNYgDBydXWvhL
Views:	154
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	736332
            Richard Chrz

Name:	20190904_234303.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	739664

Name:	20190904_234337.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	739665

Name:	20190904_234321.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	739666

Name:	20190904_234241.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	739667

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              ….sigh....

That looks like a fantastic spot. Thank you for sharing I especially love that built in gas range. I would love to add something like that. Is that a 2 burner drop in unit, hooked up to the house supply of natural gas?
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 5, 2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

We like bacon wrapped shrimp. I put a small slice of jalapeño with each shrimp before I wrap it. There won't be any leftover.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              This I will be trying....

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here