Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labor Day Party and No Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor Day Party and No Menu

Having a Labor Day party for about 20 people and at a total loss on the menu. It is a close friends party and most have had my usual fare and according to their feedback they love everything BAT does with the outdoor kitchen, but also they have all had the typical stuff (not that it's a bad thing).

Just got in a half pig and have a huge un-cured ham (about 15 lbs.), originally was going to smoke it but thinking do I really want to make a "smoked pork roast" and don't really want to waste it for pulled pork. The next choice is to cure it (not opposed to doing this at all), did the calcs and do not have enough time for that.

So... do I just say screw it and do something typical like brisket, pulled pork, etc? Or is there a better idea for about 20 guests?

TIA,

BAT

If you you are up to cooking the picnic like Cuban Pork you can serve Cubano sandwiches which would probably be new and different. I think the picnic would be more than enough meat.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
      If you you are up to cooking the picnic like Cuban Pork you can serve Cubano sandwiches which would probably be new and different. I think the picnic would be more than enough meat.
      OOOOH, one of my favorite sammies!!! This is the kind of out of the box inspiration I am looking for.

Comment

I would just say screw it and do something typical like brisket, pulled pork, etc. Most of us get bored cooking that stuff, and it just seems mundane after awhile. Folks who don't cook their own don't have that problem.

Comment

Have you smoked chuck roasts for your friends? There are so many things you can do with that. Sammies of course, but tacos are great made with smoked beef as are burritos. I like pot pies, but it's probably too much work to make 20 pot pies - no matter how good they are. Maybe beef stroganoff. If you have a griddle, steak and cheese sammies and you could add peppers and onions if desired. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Comment

What is "the usual"? Have you done ABT's (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...poppers-recipe)? Bacon wrapped blasphemy ribs (like this but wrapped in bacon: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...blasphemy-ribs)? I am sensing that I need some bacon...

Comment

You do have a chunk of uncured pork! I like LA Pork Butt ‘s idea of sandwiches and for a slight change of pace:

We did a gathering based on Rick Bayless’s grilled tacos al pastor. Had all the pork cut and marinaded before hand and it was simple to cook the meat and heat the tortillas. https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/g...cos-al-pastor/ Everyone liked them, it was easy to cook, and easy cleanup. It was setup as a taco bar. Added a bunch of side dishes too. What I liked was enjoying the party and not spending all my time as the cook.

Comment

Steven Raichlen has a great number of recipes on his web site. https://barbecuebible.com/

Comment

Or you could just say screw it & order pizza! 🕶

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Somebody up here is selling a pulled pork za….give that a go.

Bat it looks like everyone else has good ideas about the meat. For side dishes you might choose potato salad, coleslaw, or any other salad, maybe some grilled veges/potatoes.

For desert you might want a cobbler, pumpkin or sweet potato pie, and one thing I found out to be a huge success (especially for the ladies) were small ice cream cones at the end.

It sounds like you will have a great party there. I wish you much success and fun!!

Comment

BAT my so sent me this take on a Carolina Cubano dubbing Mustard BBQ Sauce for the Mustard.

See next post.

Last edited by LA Pork Butt; August 25, 2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

beef ribs

Comment

Sorry can’t get by he Pic uploaded.

i guess I did.
                        Attached Files

Comment

chicken quarters with alabama white sauce might be different to most ! with roasted red potaotes!!!

Comment

Our last party I cooked 5 different types of sausage and had them sliced up along with some sliced pork belly. Had some beans and slaw and a veggie/cheese board. Very easy and there was something for everyone.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here