Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many things went wrong. Stupid stuff. Still was great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many things went wrong. Stupid stuff. Still was great.

Oh, man. I am not afraid to admit that I screw things up, and that sometimes I don’t think, as long as it makes a great story. The number of things that went wrong, and the stupid stuff I did, and everything was still great.

1) Didn’t mix up the MMD for the pork butt. Saturday night, start the smoke and go to mix up the dust: no paprika. 11PM. But, I had some other butt rub. It has salt in it, and I’d already salted the meat early in the day. What the heck, how much of a difference could it make. I used the rub.

2) Using a new pit controller: I use the controller to work the BGE, but I monitor the temp with a Smoke so I can check it during the night. 7AM the pit temp was dropping. I went out to reset it to 275 (I run 225 overnight and then bump to 275 when I get up), and it wouldn’t set. The new controller was defective. (Don’t want to name them, they are taking care of me.) No big deal, I am Eggxperienced. Set the BGE to 275.

3) An hour or so later, I checked the charcoal to make sure there was enough. Now, this is where I get really stupid. I didn’t want to set the deflector down on the wooden table, so I looked around for something to act as a trivet. Without considering the material that is is made from, my eyes landed on one of those reusable grocery bags, the ones you buy for $1. Set the deflector and cooking grate on the bag. It is made out of plastic-infused cloth. Gooey melting plastic smell, ruined my deflector plate. No problem (other than a replacement is $70), butt goes into oven @300. Consider this again, slowly: I put a piece of plastic down on the workspace and put a piece of hot ceramic on it. Wow. All I can say is, I’ll probably do something that stupid again someday. In fact, maybe in 20 minutes or so.

4) The butt was at about 170*, it is now about 12:15. Guests will arrive around 2PM. Should come together. Set up the ChefAlarm... no joy. No temp display. UGH. Idea: The Smoke doesn’t care what the heat source is. Use it without the pit probe. (Checking it out today, the ChefAlarm’s batteries were dead.)

5) Needed the oven for the butt, so I had to take the bacon (for bacon burgers) out of the oven. NP, into the microwave for a minute or so. What can I cover it with? I know! Saran Wrap! Oh jeez. Repeat stupidity. Melted plastic on bacon. Solution, toss bacon. No one will know. But it was that really good Wright’s thick pecan smoked bacon. Me and plastic aren’t getting along today.

6) Pressed out the burgers, cut up the tomatoes, set the table. Guests arrive. Chit, chat, chit, chat, some time goes by. Burgers and dogs go on the grill (without the deflector). I made everything else the day before (beans, macaroni salad, cucumber salad, coleslaw), so once the meats were done the meal was served, buffet style. I sit down with my plate and Linda said, "This is great. Where’s the pulled pork?" Yeah, I forgot about it. Check the oven, the butt is at 207. Oh geez. This is where I get the rubber gloves and pull a pork butt in a minute. It was freakin’ great. Didn’t need any extra salt, for certain. Remember: pork butts are very forgiving!

Everything was absolutely awesome: the beans, the salads, the slaw, the burgers, the pork. Mostly though, the guests. The relatives who couldn’t make it to the wedding got to meet my new son-in-law. We ate, we drank, we laughed.

7) Around 5:30 it rained like a son of a gun, we moved everything inside and continued. Who cares. It was one hell of a good day. This is why we do this stuff.
    Last edited by Mosca; August 19, 2019, 12:56 PM.

I am always amazed how everything can go wrong with a cook but the end product is great. Or on the flip side how everything can go right but the result is not great. But either way the guests usually leave full and happy.

Comment

I love this story! Happens to the best of us, right?

Comment

Thank goodness it isn't Groundhog Day! ;-)

Comment

Great story! Thanks for sharing all your mistakes, I've done some of them. Your experience sure helped, but I can only imagine the cursing and obscene language going on in your head at the very time the accidents happened :-)

All in all: the guests were happy, you all had a good time. So in the end - success!!

Comment

Great thinking on your feet, or at least kind of thinking 😜 But great save and acting as if. We've all had those days and if we can't laugh at ourselves we're in trouble.

Comment

ROTFLMAO So glad everything came out okay and guests had a good time.

Comment

I feel you. I haven't set anything hot on plastic, but I have done something similar to every one of those things during a cook. Especially forgetting to check to see if I have all of my ingredients, and not only forgetting to check to see if the batteries are working, but checking to see if I have any extra batteries.

But the food usually comes out pretty good. Congrats on getting through it with flying colors.

Comment

What I think is funny is that, after having done this for a few years, we all get the reputation of being good backyard cremators. If they only knew! When it cooled down enough, before anyone arrived, I tossed the ceramic deflector plate over the edge of the deck where no one could see it, nor smell it. All the rest of it... MAGIC!
                  Last edited by Mosca; August 19, 2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	41BE258B-D79B-49CB-BE8A-B2F79B91ED00.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	732303

Comment

After being totally disappointed when cutting into a $79 dry aged, sous vide and smoked brisket only to find 60% fat content, I feel your pain. Fortunately for you the opposite occurred, it's all part of the experience. Just when you think you have this cooking thing down, the bbq gods rear their ugly heads and spank you down.

Comment

You had me at I will do something stupid again in 20 minutes. Great story of a great cook.
                        There is a victim of consequences here. The plastic world is very unhappy with you. 🕶

Comment

What a great story! Thanks for sharing a bumpy but successful ride. Everything doesn’t have to be "perfect" and still be perfect!

Comment

Great story. We have all been there and done that. Except for the hot deflector on plastic... JK

Comment

• Mosca
                              Mosca commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Spent an hour with a drill and a wire wheel getting the plastic off my PSWoo ring (holds the platesetter). But the deflector itself, that’s not recoverable.

My number 1 mistake, and I do this a lot, is forget ingredients. Either because they get added later, or because I am making it up as I go. So often I think, "oooh, I should put this into it, that would be great," and then proceed to forget completely. Or start the smoker and then remember three things I should be doing first. In short, I get too eager and don't think it through. Thanks for the great story, glad to commiserate with you on the mistakes and celebrate your success.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                              HawkerXP commented
                              Editing a comment
                              me: "Why does this butt taste different then the last one?"

wife: "Honey? weren't you going to use this stuff in the bowl?"

me: Duh!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here