Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family emergency mid cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family emergency mid cook

Hey gang. I've got a brisket going and a pork butt and had to leave. My step dad is at the helm. I told him when it's done to wrap it and put in a warm cooler. I had to cancel the party until tomorrow. What's the best thing to do with the meat so it's still tasty tomorrow evening?

Depending on how long it has been in the cook, I would think about pulling them, throw in some plastic bags and wrap tight, give them an ice bath to chill, and then refrigerate until you can start the cook again tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

They're cooking good. About 180 185 on each.

Comment

I agree I had to do that to some St. Louis ribs on Thursday. About 1/3 through had to pull them. I let the cool and through and through them in the fridge. Started them up yesterday and they were perfect after about 4 hours more cooking.

Comment

Other option is to let them ride until done, wrap tightly and wrap in towels and place in cooler for what we call a faux cambro. They will hold, and even get better with that hold. Once they reach about 140 you can get them cooled down and refrigerated until tomorrow. My advice is to leave them whole and don’t slice or pull before the reheat for the party. Good luck and sorry for your emergency.
          Last edited by Donw; August 17, 2019, 12:33 PM. Reason: comedy by autocorrect

Comment

Threaten yer stepdad. Tell him if he messes up he will no longer be a part of yer family. Grin. Then do what the others here said.

Comment

Thanks all for your words of wisdom. I'm going to stick to the plan of finish cooking, wrap in foil, put it in a cooler til it cools off to about 140, then refrigerate. Appreciate it!
              how about the reheat? I'm thinking of just leaving it in the foil and reheat? There's some broth in the foil...
              And yes FireMan, the pressure is on!!
              thanks again

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                I would reheat tightly wrapped and then finish uncovered to firm up the bark. Enjoy!

That's what I figured, like taking it out of a crutch. Awesome thanks again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here