Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Marinating Grilled Food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Marinating Grilled Food?

There's an article in the latest (June/July) Bon Appetit that swears that reverse marinating is the way to go. Here's the link to the article and recipes:

For years we’ve encouraged you to marinate proteins before cooking. Well, we were sort of wrong (sorry!). Here’s how to get that picture-perfect sear and still pack in tons of flavor.

When I read FireMan 's post on his Tuscan Wibs, it reminded me of that article. FireMan said it would not be his go-to wib wecipe any time soon.

BA's recommendation is to let the grilled meat sit in the marinade for a minimum of 15 minutes. By then, the meat would definitely have cooled, not my fav way to eat meat off the grill. I haven't tried it yet.

Anyone use this method routinely?

Kathryn

Is that what ya call soup??

Comment

Wait. I now have to tell the family everything I grill has to be "held"!?! Oh boy.

Comment

I did just watch some butchers try and maybe eye of the round steaks better, and one method was a front sear cook followed by a hold in rendered tallow. That was the winner of their four methods, but still chewy as all get out.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Polarbear777 . It's good to know that eye of round/round steak works well for something. I suspect for sandwich meat I still would prefer smoked chuck.

K.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Makes good jerky. I suspect that’s where the bulk of it goes. It comes from like the center of the hind leg. It’s a strong muscle, but inherently tough.never seen a Wagyu eye of round, tho.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on the jerky. It is all I use for jerky now.

Well they are right that wet from the marinade the sear will suck. Of course if reverse searing there’s time for the surface to dry first.

Seems like the better answer is a clingy board sauce, or is that what this really is? It’s not really going to penetrate right? Would a few, 15 minutes, or several hours be any different?

Comment

Good questions, Polarbear777. I don't know if structural changes from the heat actually make the meat (not the muscle fibers, necessarily) more penetrable. It wouldn't surprise me if the BA person who wrote the article believes that front marinating penetrates the meat. She needs to read Meathead's myth debunks.

Apparently the 15 minute timing was decided by taste testing, subjective as that is.

Kathryn

Comment

I didn't read the article as it just sounds funky right up front. As Polarbear777 mentioned, a board sauce would be a much better way to go.

Comment

I'd rather just baste something onto my meat as I grill it. You can get a nice coating of flavor that way. Or serve as a dipping sauce.

Comment

I agree, JCGrill , that I get a lot of marinade flavor by basting the meat with some of the reserved (uncontaminated) marinade as it cooks.

And CaptainMike , you're right--the whole concept doesn't ring true to me, since cooking some of the marinade components stuck to the meat is part of enhancing the flavor of both the marinade itself and the meat. Plus a Board Sauce packs a ton of flavor.

I may give reverse marinating a try with one of Bon Appetit's posted recipes just to see what the hubbub is about, but I predict that I won't like it.

Kathryn

Comment

I have to read the BA article. But, just as what I read here in the post so far I wonder if the "thickness" of the sauce on said meat is a perception thing. Board sauces are terrific, but are closer to the vinaigrette in texture. The vinaigrette that I used on the wibs was very "light" but was enough to really enhance the meat as board sauces I’ve made. Let’s carry on & see where it takes us.

PS. Kathryn, wib wecipe, I like! Has a ring to it.

Comment

I read that BA article and thought it bunk. I will use a thin sauce as a dipping sauce but never soak a piece of meat in it for 15 minutes. They rest the meat for 10 to 15 minutes. My science training tells me that max intake of the marinade would occur as soon as they take it off the grill. Also as Meathead so eloquently puts it there is very little travel from the outside to the inside of meat and this does not change from fresh to cooked. She did not even warm the stead for serving. Yuk cold steak. I spent a lot of time in the Med and never saw this method used, my meat was always dry and hot.

Comment

I definitely want to try the zucchini/squash recipe. The flank steak recipe too. Theory definitely comes after practice...

Comment

I'm eyeballing that zucchini recipe too, Michael Brinton . I may give it a go with a sacrificial steak or maybe some chicken too. I enjoy trying out new-to-me ideas, even if some may fall flat.

Kathryn

Comment

• Murdy
                          Murdy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Just in time. We seem to have zuchs coming out of our ears right now, and more on the way.

I saw that article too and that's how I do Yakitori (because that's how Yakitory is done).
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	uh8nxf0lUqO9DweFldb_6tcsU5N5J5itlzwMytTsRGtBwTH5nSa2B9eOuaj0cZPGZUw8vtwKrHZWE_Gt6c-hwly6f85GJFlYsws-tEbPM1AsiCPJkHE2zLxGIKqYNWwYICk7I037vdVcmv03rEfHLXBtROleAw-NXHdL6XWNUu5ssZA6Ee9LHIJplgErNjhJt5LtUNd5jlgVkjejAfu_z4K7O-gIlD6oEsrmNRJJRrQMYdrTXhiGxZST60vk5FF Views:	1 Size:	683.1 KB ID:	729328
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	yakitory.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	729379
                        Last edited by Attjack; August 12, 2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Keep in mind my tare is hot, not cold.

Why not try doing both? I make a marinade for grilled fish that I apply and leave in the fridge for maybe 15-20 minutes before the cook. The acid from the marinade helps break down the protein. Pouring some of that heated marinade over the fish post grill would add a nice flavor touch.

Comment

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You can also simply boil your marinade to kill off the bacteria.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here