Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite camping meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Iron Spinaker

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180406_181638.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	726691

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Now this I need to try on my next trip! This takes skill to nail it, well done!

My favorite camping meal is breakfast steak & eggs. Just gotta leave some room for ribs at supper time!

Comment

Fresh fist caught before breakfast and fried in a cast iron skillet over a real wood fire.

Comment

The one served in the hotel restaurant with a full service bar.

Comment

Chile, stew, soup made ahead of time. Or fresh caught fish fried in CI if you can.

Comment

A few favorites from this year. Kept it simple.

Name:	20200730_162236.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	890090

Name:	20200730_174907.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	890088

Name:	20200730_203229.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	890089

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              It's a triple berry pie.

• bep35
              bep35 commented
              Editing a comment
              It sure looks good. And over a wood fire too.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, actually it was pre-baked and just heated over the fire.

Fresh deer heart and onions. Washed down with coffee.

Comment

texastweeter Perhaps with a side of fava beans?

Name:	silence_of_the_lambs.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	890102

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                he preferred liver

Whatever happens to be on the room service menu. :-)

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Hardcore!

Breakfast: Wild rice sausage with blueberry pancakes.
              Lunch: Chili dogs made with Hebrew national dogs and hormel canned chili, onions and grated cheese
              Dinner: Ribeyes grilled over hot coals, corn on the cob wrapped in foil and laid on the coals, baked potatoes, with lots of butter for the corn and potatoes. No dessert needed.

Comment

• bep35
                bep35 commented
                Editing a comment
                What is Wild Rice Sausage?

How long do you cook corn on the cob in foil laid on coals? Do you turn them and if so how often?

• Tax Man
                Tax Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Wild rice sausage is fairly common here in MN. Just cooked wild rice mixed into the sausage. Gives the sausage, or brats, a really nice slightly nutty taste. Wonderful stuff!

As far as the corn, maybe leave it on 20 minutes or so. We will usually put some butter on before we wrap in foil and turn maybe every 5 minutes. Just naked ears, no husk.

If we don’t catch fish, it’s powerbars (and whiskey of course.....)
              my powerbars usually expire......
              Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! We got those up on the continental divide near Leadville CO on a pond we named Greedy Beaver Pond

• bep35
                bep35 commented
                Editing a comment
                Funny looking mules there.

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                Those mules spit to, never look them in the eyes!

I prefer the KISS approach to cooking meals while camping. To me, camping and "normal" outdoor cooking are separate activities, and hobo dinners in foil packets are about as fancy and time consuming as I care to get. There's just plenty of other stuff I want to be doing while in the great outdoors.

Comment

Vegetables and meat on gril

Comment

I like to make anything over the fire. Bacon and eggs and brown seems to be a running theme for the mornings. And you gotta have torts on the hot rocks too.

Name:	IMG_8503.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	891561Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8485.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	891560

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is a Solidteknics Wrought Iron Pan. It is a great pan, especially for camping. @bep35

Made in Chicago and wrought from clean American materials, Solidteknics US-ION™ iron and nöni™ stainless steel pans are perfect for all your everyday frying, baking, broiling and grilling needs. Experience the SOLID difference: multi-century durability, suitable for all heat sources, no toxic or syn

• bep35
                    bep35 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Was wondering more about the dish that was being cooked.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, hash browns! bep35

My favorite for camp breakfast is something I named the AuSable Skillet since that's where I made it first and it's become tradition. (I know Bob Evans and many other places probably have something just like this, but hey I thought I made it up)

Fried diced potatoes, salted as need and regularly sampling one to make sure. Diced onions added later when the taters are nearly cooked. Then once the taters are browned and crispy but not overcooked, turn the heat down to hold. Meanwhile, heat up some sausage gravy. Add a generous portion of the taters & onions to a plate, followed by a generous portion of the hot sausage gravy, and then fresh cracked pepper. Then top with an obscene amount of shredded cheddar or colby. If you're doing eggs, scrambled or fried, add an egg or two atop the taters before the gravy & cheese. This breakfast will stick with you until nearly dinner.

I've found either dicing up the taters ahead of time and putting in gallon ziploc bags, or simpler yet buying a few bags of diced Simply Potatoes, cuts down a lot of prep time. Taters already take forever to cook as we all know. Also, we like to crack up a bunch of eggs and plop them into an old orange juice bottle or similar- one with a larger opening- and then you can plop out some eggs into the skillet as needed with [theoretically] no mess.

Comment

• smokenoob
                    smokenoob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That sounds like it "would" last all day!
                    I’de wake up to that any day!

• bep35
                    bep35 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Eggs in an old orange juice container? Never heard that. So the eggs come out whole or is the bottle shaken and they become scrambled eggs?

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Whichever you choose! bep35

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here