Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amberjack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amberjack

A buddy is bringing me some amberjack he wants me to cook. It will be my first time cooking it, so definitely let me know if you've got any suggestions for it.

Had to look up what an Amberjack was so that tells you I can be of no help.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a female lumberjack 🤔🤣🤣🤣

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B indeed a fossilized one.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know Steve B Your definition sounds fishy to me.

Amberjack filets are great for simple grilling. Just a light coat of salt pepper and olive oil. Don't overcook.
    Goes well with various sauces, but not necessary.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on this suggestion. Great flavor in this fish in my limited experience with it

I like my Amberjack raw served with sushi rice. It’s actually one of my favorite sushi fishes.

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Hamachi sashimi/sushi is Japanese Amberjack. Absolutely fantastic.

Just some salt and pepper rubbed with olive oil and lemon juice and lemon slices on them if you want. You can use a citrus wood if you have some. That is how my friend in FL served it to me.

Comment

Great simple grilling fillets as already mentioned. One thing i will say to watch out for, depending where they were caught, i have consistently found them to be riddled with worms. ALmost every amberjack ive caught in the gulf stream off the north carlonina cost has been full of them.

Now, totally safe to eat when cooked but can gross a lot of people out and they are a pain to pull all of them and you probably wont get them all.

Comment

It's been a while but I made a basting "sauce" with butter, garlic, lemon, and red wine... Melt about 2 or 3 sticks of butter. Saute 3 or 4 pealed and sliced cloves of garlic (you just want to get the flavor out then remove the garlic). While it is simmering, juice 4 or 5 lemons and pour it in. Cook this until fragrance is no longer "sharp". Pour in a couple of cups or so of wine and let it cook down. Brush this on the fish from time to time if cooking slow. Sorry for no exact measurements, I've always "eye balled" the quantity.

This works particularly well for Redfish on the Half Shell (skin and scales left on the fillet). Damn! My mouth is watering. Y'all will have to excuse me, I need to put my bateau with my 4 1/2 motor into the marsh and get some redfish!!!!!

-Boatner

Comment

Use any yellowtail recipe. I prefer mine sashimi style.

Comment

Now the Amberjack is something else. I love that fish. However, sometimes I get a bit bruised up after spearing a 65 lbs Amberjack. If you don't hit him just right and, you he doesn't jerk the speargun out of your hand, you're in for a ride... kinda like opening up a can of whoop-ass. I miss diving and spearfishing around the rigs... The old Chargrill got a work out after each trip. Sorry that son of a gun was discontinued.

-Boatner

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here