Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke to freeze meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke to freeze meals

So I recently acquired a Weber Ranch Kettle. I am really enjoying its enormous cooking area and I have had a few smokes on it. My dilemma is I don’t often have enough time to do a good smoked meal. I’m wondering if any of you masters have had any luck smoking meat for freezing and reheating later. I’m thinking if that on the days that I do have time to do a proper smoke I can prepare a large quantity and then freeze portions for later meals. My current thinking is to cool, vacuseal, freeze and souls vide for my reheat.

Anybody tried this or is it have good recipes for such a thing or just any advice for such an undertaking?

We often freeze pulled Pork an grilled Chicken in vacuum sealed bags an drop the in boiling water to reheat.

Comment

great plan. works good. or just reheat it in a pan in the oven.

Comment

Yup, I use sous vide to reheat frozen smoked meats. Works great!

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          Dammit!!!!! Again with the sous vide!!!!!! I gotta get in on this!!

• dubob
          dubob commented
          Editing a comment
          pjlstrat, Yes You Do!

Growed up cookin fer a family of parents, grandparents, neighbours, friends acquaintnces, an 11 of us kids, so, yeah, I always cook way too much, give lots away, an save th rest fer later...works jus fine, Amigo!
        Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
        Nice RK yer rollin there, mebbe one day, one will land in my lap... Reckon, til then, I got a few other Webers, to keep me occupied lol!
        Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Might wanna stop over here, give us an introduction, when ya have th time, Brother!
        So good to hear from ya!

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
          We often freeze pulled Pork an grilled Chicken in vacuum sealed bags an drop the in boiling water to reheat.
          Vacuum seal bags are the key! Quick freeze also helps. I had a raggedy old fridge and under fridge, it took days to freeze those popsicles in the plastic tubes, so I was scared to eat anything that wasn’t frozen when I put it in there.

i grew up a bit and got my act together, got a nice fridge with sub zero settings. Unless you are making soft serve ice cream, it can never be too cold. Faster freezing = faster locking in the moisture, rather than pushing it out. What do you think?

edit: typo fridge
          Last edited by Woodson; June 30, 2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Since there are only two of us we often freeze pulled pork and brisket. We just put a little sauce and put in Ziploc bags, lower in water to seal up as close to the seal as possible. For reheating a pan of water with the water and bag of meat slowly brought to a simmer and the meat will taste as good as the day you cooked it. Micrwaviing is not to bad either if your in a hurry. But do not and I say again forget the sauce or the meat will be dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Woomfaw View Post
              I’m thinking if that on the days that I do have time to do a proper smoke I can prepare a large quantity and then freeze portions for later meals. My current thinking is to cool, vacuseal, freeze and souls vide for my reheat.
              Yep, I do it all the time. Some things to consider:
              • Choose your bags wisely. I use only Ziploc freezer bags or vacuum sealer bags. Those can stand up to the high temps you'll need for reheating.
              • I usually use my Foodsaver vac sealer but, in a pinch, I'll use the Ziploc bags instead and evacuate as much air as possible using the displacement method.
              • I normally use my sous vide (SV) rig to reheat frozen food although Malcom Reed says that you can also just drop the sealed bag into a pot of boiling water, turn off the heat, and wait 20-30 minutes to serve.
              • If using SV to reheat, I heat to the final internal temperature (IT) or to the recommended "safe" serving temperature (160 - 165 F), whichever is lower.
                • NOTE: Be aware that reheating to a temp below 160 F carries a risk ... but if you're reheating something like steak that was originally cooked to, e.g., 135 F, you'll severely overcook it if you reheat it to above 160 F. For this reason, I try to only bag, freeze, and reheat things that were cooked to an original IT of at least 160 F ... like pork ribs.

With all that said, enjoy the new Ranch Kettle ... and welcome to posting in the Pit ...

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                I can’t remember the last time I cooked chicken to 160.

OH LAWWWDDYYY.... Where do we start my BBQ brother?

To answer your question, yes.

Huntington Beach welcomes you and that RKE. It’s on my list.

Load that sucker up one weekend and eat for a very long time. I’ve loaded up some kettles in my time but that RKE.

Vac sealing and freezing work very well.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I also freeze and reheat. I do suggest portioning to one meal size before freezing.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep meal size is perfect!!!

Freeze and reheat on a regular basis. Make some nachos with that meat. They are awesome and it's a quick meal.

Comment

With just the two of us most of the time we end up vacuum sealing and freezing left over brisket and pork butt. If at all possible I don't slice what we are going to freeze, it dries out quickly. When we get ready to reheat it I only slice or pull as much as needed. With brisket for instance I'll cut a few slices and put them on a plate and microwave for 30 second on each side. It will be warm, moist, and not over cooked. I've given up on reheating in the oven. I end up with meat that isn't nearly as good as it was when it was frozen.

Comment

For pulled pork and pulled chuck, I smash the bags flat before freezing. They stack nicely, freeze quicker and reheat easier than a thicker hunk.

Comment

I do this all the time. I use a vacuum sealer so no freezer burn.

Refrigerate before freezing. Will reduce the ice crystals the faster you cross the freeze line.

Also for large whole cuts like brisket, chill in the fridge before slicing to portion and freeze.

Freeze as flat as possible, as that will cut your reheat time. I usually reheat in the microwave or thaw just enough to separate pieces and drop in a CI pan or under the broiler.

If reheating SV, be aware there may be bacterial risk issues. Since the leftovers were exposed to regular air, the contents could harbor growth in a slow reheating process. Keep the bags thin and heat them as fast as practical without ruining the food. You could also pasteurize in the reheat SV at any temp above 132F if you are willing to wait a very long time (hours, see pasteurization tables online)

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nd-food-safety

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...er-reheat-temp

I find almost all forms of BBQ low and slow to ~200F internal to save and reheat beautifully. Cuts like steak and chicken seem to lose quality in the process (and are the ones easiest to have a safety problem because if you over-re-heat the
                      , the result will be dry-city. )

Comment

• MBMorgan
                        MBMorgan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yup.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I won't reheat with sous vide for the reasons listed in the links here. The quicker I get the reheated food through the danger zone of 40° to 140°, the happier I am. For thick pieces, it simply takes too long to do that with sous vide reheating, IMO.

Kathryn

Frozen and reheated pulled chuck topped with frozen and reheated homemade bacon, plus some cheese and pickles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07397207-F132-4EB5-819F-462F92218E84.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	705135

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great photo. Looks like you started to take a bite out of that left one, thought about it, put it down and snapped the photo before continuing on with your yummy pursuits.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here