Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming for a Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming for a Visit

I am not sure if this is the place to post this but it has to do with cooking and food.

I am planning on making my annual trip the states in the fall and I am going to be smoking some of the regular suspects, brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc...

I have a couple questions. Lately I have been getting spam emails from butchers such as Snake River and others. I looked at their briskets and they running roughly 150 for what looks like a whole brisket. Is this hype or is there a noticeable difference? On my last visit to the states I paid about 3.00/lb (about 36 per briskets) and we ended up smoking 4 whole briskets, as it was such a great price and I was super happy with the results. I am going to be feeding a large family gathering so cost is an issue.

My next questions involves injecting briskets. I read various recipes and Meatheads comments and I would like to try it out myself on my next trip. Can anyone recommend a premixed injection or a recipe?

I am going to be smoking on a 22" Weber kettle set up with a slow-n-sear. This will be my first time using a slow-n-sear too. I was hoping to get a Karubecue at some point but securing a wood supply seems challenging for just visiting.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by 1bottlerocket; June 25, 2019, 01:21 PM.

Weber kettle will do fine with the Slo n sear as long as its not a monster size brisket. I haven't injected a brisket but have you checked out on the free side?

Comment

1bottlerocket all of my briskets have been USDA choice or prime, and cost from $3 to $4 per pound. I have been very happy with them, and cannot comment on how that compares to a $150 brisket from Snake River Farms or other such online purveyors of meat. Where in the US are you going? That certainly affects the availability and selection and price of brisket.

Let us know how the injecting works out. If you are cooking multiples, maybe try one with, and one without, and see what the difference is.

On a kettle with the Slow-N-Sear, while I have fit a 16 pound brisket on mine, that is the upper limit, and you are better down around 12 pounds on a standard sized kettle.

Good luck.

Comment

many competition teams and top restaurants order from SRF. The Brisket is very good usually. Also a good butcher that carries prime grade full briskets is probably as good . 12-14lb usually runs me $90-120 bucks in central NJ. Big difference over Choice grade.

Comment

Depending on where you are traveling here our club membership stores like Costco and Sam’s Club, and even some supermarket chains , will have good briskets for much less. Can’t comment on the injections as the only times I do it occasionally for flats I just use beef broth. Have fun with your travels.

Comment

I recall that SRF also goes further in grading their briskets Gold, Silver etc,, and prices accordingly. As well as having American Wagyu

Comment

I wouldn’t pay $150 for a brisket. I cook prime all the time, and the brisket seems to be enjoyed by all. In Texas lately I have been getting brisket for under $2.00 a pound. That is less than $24 for a 12 a pound brisket. You could feed a crowd at those prices.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
                Jon Liebers commented
                Editing a comment
                wow , you could truck that up here to NJ and make a nice profit!!

I suggest checking with people in the group you will be visiting and see if any have a Costco or Sam's membership. If any do, ask them to check to see if their location carries full packers.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Good point. I saw some Angus prime full packers at Sam's yesterday for under $4 per pound.

HEB has Waygu for under $5 #. As for one made injection, you can always could on Butchers.

Comment

Yes please have your group check at Sam's, I have heard Costco may no longer be carrying there prime briskets. I do my briskets on my 22" kettle try to keep it to a 14 lb one.

For home brining the best thing you can use is a really good beef broth. I make my own but you can buy one at the grocery store and reduce it some. Inject it before putting it on the grill with the grain, about every 1". As long as the broth tastes good to you it will be good in the brisket.

Meathead recommends a 24 hour dry salt brine. I am not a convert to it yet as the brisket is only an 1 3/4" or so thick, except where the point is. I do a rub with 3 parts salts to 3 parts pepper, this is called a Dalmatian rub in Texas. You can other things like cayenne, cilantro or other Texas herbs. The salt will penetrate to the center. You can add some hot pepper, or other things if you want. Rub it at 6 PM and refrigerate it over night. Pull it out at 6 and start your fire. Get your fire up to 175, yea its a little high but prime brisket can take it. There are guys cooking there briskets in 2 hours but I haven't tried it so won't tell you.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and comments. There are 2 Costco stores and a Sam’s so that may be a good visit.

The last briskets I bought were in the 12-14 range so I know that size will work.

I think I will try one with and one without injection and see how much of a difference it makes. I hadn’t thought of doing that.

I had a hard time stomaching the 150 brisket so that will be a pass. Plus my wife would probably have a fit.

Everything went well the last visit so I will probably stick with the regular meat again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here