Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just one DA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one DA question

Just a quick question,,,with all the technology out there how many of you smokers and Q’ers use the old smell ,touch ,listen method to figure where you are at with a cook ?
    my nose and my ears set me up to really start payin’ attention
    just curious
    What do you think ?

I think those are all good indicators and I use them. But I anyways add a good temp probe to be sure. I'm often wrong, just ask SWMBO'ed!!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      At least your are just "often". Mine will say "always", and about "everything"! ;-)

Yup, intuition and a temp probe.

Comment

I fall back to technology towards the end also
      When the cook is startin to smell just right I get off my ass and grab the thermopen LOL 😂

Comment

I am not an experienced person at smoking, but I've grilled for decades and cooked in the kitchen even longer. I use vision, touch, and smell as much nowadays as in past years. But I would not give up my thermometer and fall back on just my senses. I know I get more consistent results when I use a thermometer to confirm doneness.

If I was a chef preparing similar meals every night, I might feel otherwise, but I'm not. One day it might be burgers on homemade buns and the next it might be chuck roast and a sweet corn, cheese, and egg casserole. A good thermometer will ensure all of this food turns out perfect.

Comment

I rely on the senses too, but the final test is usually a thermometer for temp, and it really helps to know how hot your barbecue or smoker is running at grill height. Love my Fireboard

Comment

My senses and intuition verses technology....technology all day long and twice on Sunday
            And I despised technology.

Comment

I would love to trust my senses. Gave it up, I learned I have very little sense in just about everything. With that said I am not a geek a gawkin at ya either. I use a Thermapen, have a Smoke & Chef’s Alarm. Don’t want computer graphs or read outs. To me, & just to me, that’s not fun, that’s techno work. Some get into that & that’s fine.

Comment

I can find very little difference with my senses between a brisket at 195 and one at 203. So many times those last few degrees make a big difference. I have to have my thermometer and one of the little bamboo skewers I use to tell tenderness, to know when it's completely ready.

Comment

• parkerj2
                  parkerj2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  to this point - a brisket at 195 could be done perfectly and one at 203 could be overdone. Different pieces of meat are done at different temps.

• Oak Smoke
                  Oak Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly, that is the part the skewer plays. I start checking at 195 for tenderness. If it's ready then it's great. I do hesitate to go much over 203. If I don't have the tenderness I want by 207 I just write it off to this is as good as this one is going to get and hope it comes around in the faux Cambro.

I use my senses when cooking.

I know when I smell smoke, see my neighbor come running with his hose or hear the fire department turn up my block its time to pull the meat off!

Since then I count on my ThermoWorks to make me the "cook" that I am.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That kind of reminds me of the "she shed" commercial

• grantgallagher
                  grantgallagher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Troutman my wife just brought that up to me recently. had never heard of it before. not gonna lie, laughed my ass off.

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fire in the pit!

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
                I use my senses when cooking.

I know when I smell smoke, see my neighbor come running with his hose or hear the fire department turn up my block its time to pull the meat off!

Since then I count on my ThermoWorks to make me the "cook" that I am.
                LOL,,,, my neighbors see smoke they come runnin’ with the kids , Fire Dept bring their own paper towels 🤣😂🤣👍

Comment

it's all senses on ribs, dogs, burgers, and steak.Brisket I use temp to give me an idea to start checking bark formation and color for the crutch; then again when to start probing for tenderness. Butts, fish, and chicken it's thermometers all the way (again except for when to crutch). Oh yeah, just senses on jerky. I ALWAYS use a thermometer to measure ambient temp in my smoker, and a laser thermometer for my pizza oven. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
                  Last edited by texastweeter; June 23, 2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Well I like puppies myself !!!

Comment

The way I view it is I could probably guess pretty darn close how fast I'm driving or what time of day it is simply on hunch and other factors, but technology will save you much heartache when you punch in to work on time, or don't get a speeding ticket....or don't eat overcooked chicken breast. My hunch with "this burger looks done to me" is typically wrong when poked with an instant read, and I will admit it. I use a thermometer as long as I have access to one.

Comment

Plus it’s keeps ya from being sick from undercooked food. I use my senses a lot and a temp probe to confirm it. I don’t want to sell something that will get a customer sick. That is why the health department out here requires us to use instant read thermometers

Comment

• HouseHomey
                          HouseHomey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Seriously? Requires? Wow. Do tell.

• Nuke em
                          Nuke em commented
                          Editing a comment
                          One of the requirements in Nj for the health dept is to have instant read thermometers to make sure your colds are cold and hots stay hot. So ya know your not in the danger zones when serving to the public. If you dont have one when they do a surprise inspection then they will shut you down

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here