Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast cook time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast cook time

Picked up a 4lb chuck roast this morning, never done one so looking for advise.
    From what I've read on this site, smoke temp should be 225 and chuck be smoked to an inside temp of 180.
    My question is when should I start the roast and what can I expect the usual cook time to be.

I gotta learn how to read....right in the article on this website....cook time approx. 6 hours.
    So in a "perfect world" start fire at 9am, on coals at 10am, cook to inside temp of 180 which hopefully is approx. 6 hours or 4pm, rest for 2 hours, slice and on table by 630pm.
    Last edited by smokin fool; June 22, 2019, 08:58 AM.

I think your plan is sound. Don’t be afraid to turn the heat up. Even 250 or 275 will knock time off that cook with no significant difference to the end result. Good luck !!!

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, thank you, I would prefer to smoke hotter than 225.
      The Keg seems to like operating between 250 and 300.

I would start at 0500, crank it up to 250°-265° and cook to about 210 depending on the probe test.

Sont pay pay attention to this "timed thing." Who wrote that?

thats just me though.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      great for pulled/chopped beef.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Well....actually I did....just trying to get some kinda time line of when to get this thing rolling.
      Nothing written in stone.

Oh, sorry. You mentioned "article on this website."

A timed thing is hard with large proteins. Even the most basic is hard such as a turkey "15 min per lbs" and the like.

far many variables. The "hold" is our friend.

Comment

gonna cook a "brosket" myself Sunday night I think. Butchered out one of our grass-fed Angus, and have a pretty good sized one in the fridge waiting to be cooked.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman no, lol. We just raise some, so might as well sample it. I prefer corn fed. We usually finish them with breeder cubes.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wait, what’s a "brosket" ?? You and your bros cooking a brisket ??

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman a roast cooked like a brisket, lol. We (me and two of my closest friends) coined the term about 8 years ago in Galveston on one of our twice a year guys "fishing trips".

It's really hard to say approximately how long it will take. Way too many variables. Make allowance for plenty of time and you can always speed things up toward the end by wrapping once you've established good bark.

I only do brisket once or twice a year. Chuck roast is my go-to for smoked beef. It's much easier to prep and the size is just right for a small crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
        From what I've read on this site, smoke temp should be 225 and chuck be smoked to an inside temp of 180.
        Take it to 200ish if you want to slice, to 207ish if you want to make pulled beef for Philly Steak sammies, for example. 180° sounds too low to me. I've done lots of chuckies, and only think about wrapping (if I wrap, that is) at 180°.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; June 22, 2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Slicing would be my preference so if 200 is better will aim for that
          Then depends too on the ravenous wolves at the dinner table too
          Thank you

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Collagen breakdown occurs between 160° and 180°, so pulling at 180° might work for you, smokin fool , if that 's your target temp. I usually take mine higher than that, but hey, your call.

Kathryn

I was surprised to even find this today, not a cut of meat that any stores carry in this area.
        There is a Halal meat counter in the big box grocery that caters to the growing middle eastern population coming to this country.
        They had half a dozen chuck roast, I got the biggest one.
        The counter wasn't staffed yet so could not ask if this could be my source for the ever elusive tri-tip.
        Thank you all for your input, this smoke is delayed 24 hours, Mom called she's got a hankering for strip loin steak and she's buying....How can you say no to Mommy....

Comment

• Foehn Watts
          Foehn Watts commented
          Editing a comment
          How can you say no to strip loin!! :-)

I agree with the above smoke at 275-300. Take off at slightly over 200 for pulling. I like to take it off at 180 for slicing and tent it with foil and let the carry over take it up an other 5-10 degrees

Comment

If you want to slice it, I suggest cutting the roast in half with the grain, (maybe thirds if it's a huge hunk o' beef). Then stand each piece on the cut edge to cut slices across the grain. It will be much easier to chew cut across the grain.

Comment

This thread is so timely for me. Briskets are intimidating me due to the cost. (And, I know, the only way I'm going to get any experience with brisket is to actually do brisket.)

So I want to "practice" on chuck roasts, which are always plentiful at my local store.

Comment

I agree on the temperature recommendation of those above. A chuck needs 200 - 205 to be tender. Additionally, I always Texas crutch my chuck and shoulder roasts. Those are the only cuts that I crutch anymore.

Comment

You're going to love chuckies done with your SnS, Michael_in_TX . Just follow Adrenaline BBQ's video and you can't go wrong. The one for pulled beef is here.

Kathryn

Comment

• Foehn Watts
                  Foehn Watts commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for this link; it's just what I needed.

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
                My question is when should I start the roast and what can I expect the usual cook time to be.

I gotta learn how to read....right in the article on this website....cook time approx. 6 hours.
                So in a "perfect world" start fire at 9am, on coals at 10am, cook to inside temp of 180 which hopefully is approx. 6 hours or 4pm, rest for 2 hours, slice and on table by 630pm.
                Hey smokin fool as a fellow Canuck I've never seen a cut labelled chuck here. Was yours actually labelled chuck? If so, where'd you get it, and if not what was it labelled as?

Thanks!

Comment

• Foehn Watts
                  Foehn Watts commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chuck (roast) is a cut from a beef shoulder, usually with some bone and for sure some shoulder bone, or at least it is around here. We can also buy chuck steaks, which are much thinner and are pretty dang tasty as long as you don't over cook it; gotta be pink inside at the most done.. When I was a kid, it was a big family treat when my mom broiled chuck steak. And I still like it today. You may find parts a little tougher, but it is tasty.

Originally posted by pkadare View Post

Hey smokin fool as a fellow Canuck I've never seen a cut labelled chuck here. Was yours actually labelled chuck? If so, where'd you get it, and if not what was it labelled as?

Thanks!
                Sorry, I missed your post about getting at a halal counter, which big box?

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Local Royal Canadian Super Store at Winston Churchill and Argentia Rd, kinda of a commute for you.
                  There is a meat counter in the store called Warraich Meats I don't know if this is In every RCSS.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here