Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghee. Who all makes their own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fzxdoc We use that stuff all the time. Ghee is commercially processed at higher temp yielding a better result than clarified butter. I did not read all of the links above but I’m sure I have at some point.

What we make at home is clarified butter not Ghee.

DO:
    Make garlic confit at home.
    make garlic butter at home
    you won’t regret it

We use them consistently for Aioli, black garlic aioli (for the restaurant wagyu burger) vinaigrette’s, marinades, sautéing, pan frying, on the flat top for fajita veggies ( for some reason I make a ton of Mexican food for Newport Beach, weird) , grilled cheese, finishing tomato soup (make a bunch of that too) , frittatas, roasted fingerling breakfast potatoes, herbed and Spicy croutons act...so many uses.

Just make sure you push it though something to get the soft mush out that often comes from soft garlic. Use the garlic in something else shouldnyou choose.

Sadly no matter what you do it is still 9 calories a gram for this fat.

Im not gonna lie... tossing some crispy fresh fries in a little garlic truffle butter is pretty good.
    Last edited by HouseHomey; June 27, 2019, 09:11 AM. Reason: Chenged "I" to "We"

Comment

You'll never catch me without ghee. Even when I'm traveling.
      I've been making my own for years. I use kerrygold butter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190626_224903.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	702100

Comment

Add the "health benefits" of using ghee along with drinking celery juice (one of the latest "miracle cures") and one will likely live forever - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/s...mid=tw-nytimes

Comment

Ghee whiz.

Comment

I have been making my ow ghee for a long time. I use it regularly in my cooking. Yes, the smoke point is higher and I find it adds a nice nutty flavor to everyday meals.

I usually cook it in an oven but it is a time consuming process, about 3 hours, in order to make sure all the solids brown and drop out. I tend to stay away from the fancy butters and use a middle of the road store brand.

When I am pressed for time I go stove top. My experience has been that you can slightly speed up the time to brown the solids and get them to drop out. Like others, I filter with a cheese cloth. I store in the fridge in a Mason jar. It gets tricky getting it out and I have to come up with something different in order to facilitate ease of use. I have thought about trying to freeze ghee in an ice cube try and then transfer to a fridge.

I have been cooking with ghee for a few years now and I have not noticed any difference in how I feel. I do like the flavor!
            Last edited by 1bottlerocket; June 29, 2019, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bottlerocket View Post
              I have been making my ow ghee for a long time. I use it regularly in my cooking. Yes, the smoke point is higher and I find it adds a nice nutty flavor to everyday meals.

I usually cook it in an oven but it is a time consuming process, about 3 hours, in order to make sure all the solids brown and drop out. I tend to stay away from the fancy butters and use a middle of the road store brand.

When I am pressed for time I go stove top. My experience has been that you can slightly speed up the time to brown the solids and get them to drop out. Like others, I filter with a cheese cloth. I store in the fridge in a Mason jar. It gets tricky getting it out and I have to come up with something different in order to facilitate ease of use. I have thought about trying to freeze ghee in an ice cube try and then transfer to a fridge.

I have been cooking with ghee for a few years now and I have not noticed any difference in how I feel. I do like the flavor!
              Not an expert here by any measure but my understanding is that ghee does not need refrigeration, at least for a fairly long time. May be worth confirming this and not allow it to set up from refrigeration.

Comment

Originally posted by Bighorn Dave View Post

Not an expert here by any measure but my understanding is that ghee does not need refrigeration, at least for a fairly long time. May be worth confirming this and not allow it to set up from refrigeration.
                Yes, you're right it does not need refrigeration. I like to set it up to keep it out of my daughter's hands, she tends to eat butter by the mouthful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here