Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My biggest cook coming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest cook coming up

I have been asked to cook for a luncheon for 150 supporters (Selfridge Base Community Council) of the Enlisted Heritage House at Selfridge ANGB. I will be smoking 6 butts for pulled pork, 20 chickens (cut in half) for pulled chicken, and baked beans. Others will be bringing salads and Cole slaw. I'll be using the American Barbeque Systems Judge, so cooking space isn't a problem. May throw a few ribs and maybe a brisket on just because. Think it will be enough food?

Sounds like you are rigged and ready. Others will have to comment on your planned volume of feed. It would at least be enough for me.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      What’s that fish in your avatar!! Looks tasty.

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey That is a Redfish. Redfish are good to eat. However, they are very course and tough at the size in the photo. That fish went back in the water to make more babies.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Redfish filets on the half shell with garlic butter....it don’t get no better !!!👍👍👍

Id throw on more butts and chicken. Also that’s a lot of pulling. Allow time for hold and service after the cook.

With other foods you’ll likely have too much but if they can eat....well... I’d rather have leftovers than not enough. also chix and pork are the least expensive proteins. If others fail to produce you’ll want the extra food.

When pulling chix the yield is not is not as great as one would imagine.

Thats IMHO

Comment

• Keiferr
      Keiferr commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m only planning 4 servings per chicken and 25 per 10 pound pre cook butt. Thanks for the input!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      @Keiffer you would know their appetites better and can end up just fine with that food amount.

From a planning stage as a Banquet Chef I can not use those numbers. Usually we have too much food because we can’t afford to be wrong.

Zero margin of error for us so there’s that. For me I would add some butts and some chickens. Like I said, we usually have too much. The more proteins and heavy sides the less per person you can use in calculations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1E75E893-5B1B-40A8-A293-5ED1322E4147.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	684902 Here’s the Judge if anyone isn’t familiar with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	865DC80F-BCD5-4493-B288-D5750ED3B622.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	684901

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice smoker!!! I have never heard of them.. take some pics when ya open it up of of the inside or when you are done just for my own curiosity 😄😄

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Wowser. That's a rig.

Backroadmeats, there’s 4 shelves inside. I’ll take some pictures next time I’m there.

Comment

Super fun! What style are you serving, sandwiches or plates?

Using my calculator, Six 8 pound butts will yield you 96 units of 4 oz portions (50% yield).

I've never done pulled chicken, but I'll make an estimate of 2.5 pound birds, and 60% yield for the pulled meat, which would give you 120 units of 4 oz portions using 20 birds.

I like to plan for 8 oz of proteins per person. If you are doing sandwiches, you can up the portion to 5.5 oz per sandwich, and you have a total of 87 chicken sandwiches, and 93 pork sandwiches, or 180 total, a little margin total.

Just on the face of what you've shared, I'd cook more pork and have more extra margin of pork. It seems easier to cook and pull than the chicken.

Can't wait for you event and the success!

paul

Comment

PaulstheRibList Thanks! I’ve only done cooks for 30-40 before so I appreciate all input. I think I’ll up the pork and chicken and maybe throw on 10-15 racks of ribs for filler.

Comment

I am helping cook for ~100 people this Wednesday and will be doing 5 butts. There will also be a couple briskets and probably 20 racks of ribs. They did the same cook for about the same number of people last year and there was a decent amount of food left over. Since you are doing 150 people it probably wouldn't hurt to throw at least 2-4 more butts in there. Better have some left over than to have hungry people wanting more.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep super easy with butts if you have leftovers. Take a bunch of ziploc bags, pull portion and freeze them.

Offering multiple choices of meat leaves you at the mercy of your guests. You have no control over what they will choose to eat which means that you could run out of the small quantity of meat. If you use Huskee 1/2 pound per person 60#s of Pork will serve 120. If you are serving it on buns you probably can serve the 150. When people are serving their own meat on a plate they tend to take more. If you serve the chicken in quarters that will serve 80. When two meats are offered some folks will take both. I hope this helps.

Comment

I agree with LA. I've done 150-200 person cooks several times. I usually plan on 1/2 lb of protein per person. I did pulled chicken for that many once and would never do it again. Takes a long time to pull and you don't get as much as you may think and unless you sauce it it will dry out. I would not add the ribs unless you cook enough to provide 2-3 bones per person. As LA stated when doing multiple proteins you will run out of one unless you over cook. If doing chicken and pork I would recommend quartering the chickens. And frankly you can cut the chickens into 6 or 8 pieces (leg, thigh and the breast into 2).

Also, is this going to be buffet self serve or is there going to be servers? That will make a difference.

Comment

• Keiferr
              Keiferr commented
              Editing a comment
              It's going to be sandwiches but I may just do cut up chicken rather than pulled. Depending on how much help i get i may have servers for at least the meat. I usually plan on 2-3 bones per serving for ribs. If I run out i run out. It's a free lunch. I appreciate all the input from everyone!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here