Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to use left over meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to use left over meat?

Alright, I might be cooking a little too much BBQ these days so I need a little help with ideas for using up left over (probably frozen) meat.

Recently I have discovered Meatheads Boston baked beans with left over ribs (Amazing), and Chinese Fried Rice with a ton of dry brisket (simply delicious). Not only were these meals outstanding on their own right, they were healthy and I enjoyed the leftover meat more this way that re-heated and served. Using leftovers gets me bonus marks with my boss.

Chile is up next for my next beef cook.

I'm drawing a blank for what do do with chicken pieces. Strip the meat off and bag it up for a dish of....?

Ideas (and photos) welcome.

P.S. if their is a thread that covers this somewhere let me know.

Thanks

Chicken fried rice, chicken salad, chicken hash, chicken noodle soup, smoked chicken grilled cheese? I have made all of these with leftover grilled chicken that I did not put BBQ sauce on while grilling (except the grilled cheese - I did that with some bbq chicken, some bacon, some tomato and some swiss cheese). Chicken noodle soup with grilled or smoked chicken is really good. I don't have a recipe though cause I make the soup up as I go.

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      chicken pot pie is really good too foodnetwork has good recipes

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      bardsleyque, I am going to try that out. I haven't yet because I have an irrational fear of working with dough.

If I have been grilling and have leftover meat drying in the fridge for a few days it usually ends up as soup. Same with all the old veges in the fridge. My wife hates it when I call it eating the trash.

Comment

If its leftover chicken then chicken pot pie.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's the recipe I use: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...hicken-potpie/ usually with leftover rotisserie chicken. Yum!

• Hugh
        Hugh commented
        Editing a comment
        video watched and article filed in OneNote.

Do you make your own crust or can you buy the sheets mentioned in the video?

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm way too lazy to make my own crusts. I generally use more chicken than it calls for, and make it a large oval corelle casserole dish, and use 1.5 - 2 boxes of pillsbury refrigerated pie crust for the top and bottom crusts, piecing it together from the circles to fit the casserole. That makes it big enough that it probably has to cook a little longer, so once the top crust is browned I'll cover with foil to keep it from getting too far while the insides finish up.

My favorite use of chuck is to render some fat out of it, fry it in a pan and make tacos....

Comment

Empanadas, tacos, burritos, protein on salads.

Comment

• ClayJones
          ClayJones commented
          Editing a comment
          heh Good man. I always tell myself I'm gonna put that Q on a salad for lunch. A couple times it almost happened!

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          ClayJones That's my first meal 5 days a week.

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          I finally found a salad I like with protein recently. A Cobb salad. An egg with some bacon bits and chicken. I think I could work in a few variations on this. Thanks Attjack.

Now that you mention it, I love soup. I teach at a college usually from Sept to April and I pay a stupid price for bad soup almost every day. My wife isn't a big fan of soup in the summer, but learning how to make it is a perfect summer project.

Comment

We make enchiladas with any kind of leftover meat (just dome brisket ones last week). Chicken salad is a pretty good way to go. Pizza toppings as well.

Comment

Here most leftovers end up in soup, stews, or on the breakfast table mixed with eggs or potatoes However, my corgis just chimed to remind you not to forget any dogs that you know. They love leftovers too.🙂

Comment

STIR FRY. When the veggies are all but done...throw in the chicken to warm.

Comment

• PBCDad
                PBCDad commented
                Editing a comment
                This. I made a really good green bean stir fry and added chicken at the end with a little more oyster sauce, my family ate it faster than any veggie dish I've seen. I used this recipe, very simple: https://kalynskitchen.com/recipe-for...en-beans-stir/

• Hugh
                Hugh commented
                Editing a comment
                PBCDad - menu filed, thankyou

Donw - Did you say 'Walk' or 'Treat'?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0973.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	682652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0974.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	682653

Comment

This is particularly good in warm weather, but we do this one all year round with left over chicken (dark meat is best, but breast works well too).
                Shred the chicken into bite size pieces and soak for a short while in a drizzle of Franks Hot Sauce (or your choice). Romaine lettuce torn to edible size. Chop celery, carrot, avocado, tomato, others that you might like. But the real kicker is small chunks of Honeycrisp apple. Toss with blue cheese dressing, top with the chunks of sauced chicken and sprinkle some crumbles of blue cheese on top......plenty of fresh ground black pepper. Enjoy...…...

Comment

• Hugh
                  Hugh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just got inserted at the top of the list

Thanks all. I've got 15 ideas. I am going to have to BBQ more so I can try all these left over ideas.

Comment

I love making Meathead's Chili Con Carne. Its is amazing. I try to use brisket, but pulled pork, chuckies, chicken and whatever else works great in that recipe.

Comment

• Hugh
                    Hugh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Spinaker - put the recipe in my files for my first chili cook. Slightly different that the hamburger/beans/diced tomato we call chili!

I like using leftover meat in enchiladas or burritos.

Comment

• Donw
                    Donw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes! Any steak or pork chops we have left over usually ends up wrapped in a tortilla somehow.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here