Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chilean backyard bbq!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chilean backyard bbq!

Sorry there aren’t going to be loads of pictures; there were lots of people from both families mingling, and I didn’t want to be taking photos of food and bbqing, I was having loads of fun meeting new people and trying new things and working on learning elementary Spanish!

Leonel (Felipe’s dad) had Chilean lomo y Argentine lomo so we could taste the difference. Argentine lomo is outstanding. Chilean lomo is still pretty good, but man, Argentine has that special beefiness. It’s all flavor!

The sausages were insane. No mustard, nothing on them, just sausages in rolls. They were offered offhandedly, like, "Oh, here, have a sausage." Okay, can I have three please?

There is a strong German influence on Chile, and the beer is really good, like US craft and microbrew good. This is a lager that could have come from anywhere in the Fatherland. Reinheitsgebot stuff.

Quail eggs. Carmen’s (Felipe’s mom) brother has a farm and he raises quail. So... quail eggs. They taste like free range chicken eggs. The sauce is ketchup and mayo.

Other stuff that that didn’t make the pictures: Carmen grows aji peppers, the Peruvian ones. Damn, I said to myself several times to get a snap, but I didn’t. We blew through about a dozen bottles of Chilean wine. They drink a lot of wine in Chile. There’s a grape that was lost to the world about 150 years ago, Carménère, that was rediscovered in Chile in the ‘90s; it’s a Cabernet variety. After dinner Leonel broke out the Bulliet and we shared baby pictures of the kids and did our best to embarrass them. I think this family is going to work just fine!

Click image for larger version  Name:	7964E2D5-EBBE-4A94-9CE4-D61B055B7B85.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.02 MB ID:	680125Click image for larger version  Name:	3EF84438-D1D6-4678-851D-1C9E803AD30F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	680124Click image for larger version  Name:	F276759B-CEA4-46B9-A70A-52C7BA56D8B4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	680126Click image for larger version  Name:	D646366F-2332-4461-B731-D29404117A97.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	680123Click image for larger version  Name:	403C7480-5FD5-44B2-816D-BC50011F5BD6.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	680127
    Last edited by Mosca; May 17, 2019, 10:37 AM.

More fun times! I'm glad you are having a great time in Chile.

Comment

Santa Maria cooking by the pool?

Fantastic!

Comment

Wow and really cool. I love pickled quail eggs. Never had them "regular" . I could throw down about 6-7 per bite.

Congrats to you and your new family members!

Comment

I love Chilean wine! Very dry, earthy, and non-jammy like so many US varietals seem to lean toward. Thanks for taking us along!

Comment

Nice! I'm gonna have to visit Argentina!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Let's go !!! We can stay and eat at Ahumadora 's house

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Now you’re talkin’!

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              You can stay at a hotel down the road close by and come cook at my place. (Got a house full of kids and wife would fly off the handle) Bring it on!!

Man that's my kind of barbecue, Santa Maria style, or whatever they call it down there. Open fire cooking rocks !!!

Comment

Sound like you are having a delightful time as we all wedding festivities should be. It makes me want to try new foods and styles of cooking. You are as much of a MCS fighter as I am, but is there a new cooker in the works and maybe some bringing home some aji pepper seeds?

Comment

Mrs Mosca saw it and said, "You can't have one." Too bad, it's pretty cool.

I've tried to grow peppers, haven't been able to. Not enough sun, and when I plant them where there is such the deer eat them.

Comment

Looks like you're having a great time! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the quick virtual trip to Chile, Mosca . I'm really hungry now, so I've gotta go.

Kathryn

Comment

Good time with family, food and wine. Nothing better.

Comment

• Mosca
                        Mosca commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The people in the seats.

Further observation: the beef was all grass fed, the fat was yellow like scrambled eggs. But the Argentine beef was still outstanding.

It is possible that grass fed, and grain fed, and grass fed and grain finished, can all be either good or mediocre. There are many more variables than just the feed, I think.

Comment

Always a rivalry between, Brazil,Uruguay, Argentina and Chile who has the best asados. Like I have been saying most parrillas (grills) are pretty simple and rudimentary down here, but that is pretty much all you need. Make the most of it, it will go fast.
                        If anyone needs Spanish classes I used to own an online Spanish school and can put you in direct contact with personal tutors by Skype.

Comment

• Mosca
                          Mosca commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Leonel is pretty convinced that Argentine is the best! Mosquette actually teaches English here in Chile. I think the greatest impediment to learning it, for me, is that I don't need it. Even if I learned it, I wouldn't use it and it would fall away.

• klflowers
                          klflowers commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We bought and grilled some beef and sausages in Aruba a few years back, and it was excellent. I don't remember if it was from Argentina or Venezuela though.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here