Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A celebration of cultural barbacoa.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A celebration of cultural barbacoa.....

So, I am loving the process and possibilities of what can be done on my cookers so far. I am hoping to expand my knowledge of various cultural celebrations through bbq. What is your favorite culture to plan a cook based on, and are there any specific protiens etc, that you feel have upped your game and knowledge. I'd like to learn more of various cultrues and then celebrate them with friends through my interpretations. thank you in advance. I have lot's of time to learn, i'd like to use it accordingly.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 16, 2019, 10:19 AM.

I'm a little unsure exactly what you are asking advice on. Are you looking to expand your cooking skills beyond basic barbecuing of meats or are you planning to host a meal you want to prepare? If you take the time to look through the free side of the site there are tons of recipes for all manner of cooking. Choose a few and challenge yourself to cook them. If it's hosting you are aiming for there are lots of posts on here about guys who do large cooks for groups. Again be a little more specific.

Comment

Yeah, that post was more then even my typical rambling.. lol, but you hit it both. (I went back and completely cleaned it up). But, New styles and cultures to learn and which ones did you find fun, fun enough that you would run a backyard party off of it. is there a progression that you have enjoyed. I feel this site is soooo huge, and sooo much knowledge, it is almost a bit intimidating on where to begin. I have the time and would like to use it to increase my understanding of bbq across the spectrum of how it is celebrated.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 16, 2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I really admire Mexican cuisine. So many different spices and peppers & citrus, and how they play with meats & other veggies. I love ALL foods, but to me nailing an authentic Mexican is the hardest. I can do an American-Mexican, like taco bell, you know- the regular ol' chicken fajitas or enchiladas & such, but REAL Mexican is an art that I don't have the time & patience to master.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard Chrz I really can't say I've done any authentic ones. I usually stick with Americanized Tex Mex. I want to branch out though. You've inspired me...I need to get on it!

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I will begin my search as well, if you come across some that you would find both fun and challenging in new techniques or timing, please either post it back here and maybe we can build a thread on cultural traditions in this. .. thank you in advance.

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, you are slacking Huskee. :-)

Mexican cuisine is very hard to categorize. As you mentioned Huskee most folks think of tacos and fajitas when they think Hispanic. Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Mexico, if you know her history, has been ruled by the Spanish with a brief interlude by the French. Add to those cultural influences that of the indigenous peoples and you have a lot of culinary diversity. Each region also had its own unique spin on things.

I personally eat so much Tex-Mex that when I do travel down to Mexico I’m blown away by the diversity and differences everywhere I go.

i guess what I’m trying to say is mastering Mexican is about like mastering American or European. It’s diverse and hard to nail down. But it’s a great journey trying, a road I’ve gone down many times !!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. Lotta hats there.

It never occurred to me to try and cook authentic Mexican. American Tex-Mex? It's a staple in our household. I'm going to have to do some research and try and nail a Mexican dish.

Comment

All of them. Italian, Greek, Mexican, Asian, Indian. The list goes on and on.

Comment

I don’t know that I have a favourite...and has been mentioned, even just picking a style or region can mean many things to different people.

Though for "expanding" my knowledge...I REALLY like The Barbecue Bible by Steve Raichlen. It’s got stuff from around the world...Jamaica, Brazil, Senegal, Thailand...and on & on.

Mods get get ready to fix the link... (Don’t know how to link AR.)
            Last edited by Huskee; May 16, 2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Done!

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Huskee

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here