Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheatin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheatin'

Mr. Bones recent post on fixin' up a frozen burrito reminded me that I occasionally cheat in a similar way. So I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can post stuff they buy ready made and then add stuff to to make it better. I'll start with a quicky that has been a hit wherever I take it.

Ingredients:

1 pkg of either red beans and rice or black beans and rice - I use Zatarans.
    1/3 package of breakfast sausage in a tube - I use Jimmy Dean's Hot, (1 lb package)

Directions:

Crumble the sausage and brown in a pot the box of red beans and rice will fit in.
    Following the directions on the box, add the red beans and rice with the sausage and cook.

Eat...

Please don't sub link sausage the first time you try this. I had a friend at work get upset because her version was not the same as mine. She subbed Italian links for the sausage...

Honestly I wouldn’t consider that cheatin’. Cheatin’ is making it then claiming it. That sounds tasty.

I don’t eat a lot of packaged or prepared food, like to keep it fresh. But one thing I do like is Uncle Bens long grain and wild rice made with chicken livers stuffed into a chicken cavity. Been doin’ that for years.

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      it aint cheatin if it's the only way you know!

I like the Zatarans too, only I use Conuecuh smoked sausage links, the spicy one.

Comment

I mix Wheat Chex with Cheerios & put blueberries n honey once in awhile & call it breakfast. Again, only once in awhile, every 2 or 3 weeks. Nobody sees it though.

Comment

I saute ground beef then take a good jarred sauce add red wine and and simmer for an hour until super tender. I finish with fresh mushrooms. Put over pasta.

My kids call it Daddy's Famous Pasta.

Comment

Spam sliced about 1/2 inch thick, crisped up on the grill on a toasted bun with red pepper aioli and deep fried breaded shrimp on top. Surf and turf baby!

Comment

• NapMaster
            NapMaster commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope I can find your recipe again. That sounds outstanding. Spam and swimp. Dude!!!

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Spoken like a true Minnesotan. Love me some Spam. Wish I could get SWMBO to eat it.

Lovin where this is goin!

Show us yer Timesavers / 'Cheats'!

Ain't thing one with makin Blue Box Mac n Cheese, vs hand-extruded, exotic, imported semolina, mixed with free-range, imported cheese, fer everyday fare...

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Cracker Barrel mac & cheese is pretty good. I make a pot and add diced SPAM or canned tuna.

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190515_221054 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	594.8 KB ID:	679695
            Tip of th Hat to RonB
            I don't have no Zatarain's, at present...try th Odom's TN Pride Sausage, see what ya think
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20190515_222745 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	576.2 KB ID:	679696
            Like Troutman said, I don't do this a lot, but sometimes, I jus wanna eat, an go to beddy-bye...

Comment

I agree with the wisdom of Mr. Troutman . The idea of "cheating" would mean that there was only one way in making any dish/recipe. If you take 10 people that have made the same name dish, you will get 20+ different variations to it. If the math does not look right, check out how many of them add variations and/or substitutions to their recipe. We personally try to stay away from processed food because of all the "extrees" they add to it (you know, the stuff that cracks yer chromosomes and makes ya have 3 legged babies). But we still buy some things because of convenience. Besides, some of the stuff that will kill ya tastes so dang good.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                You know what they say, even health nuts die of something. Or as Jerry Seinfeld said, 'health nuts will feel silly one day lying in a hospital bed dying of nothing.' Sometimes ya just gotta enjoy the good stuff!

I like to take sausage rolls, (Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans, etc) like Mr Bones posted above, and unwrap them whole, roll it in brown sugar all over including ends, and smoke indirectly up to 160. Takes about 90 mins give or take, at 325ish. Slice & serve. You won't want to fry the patties again!

Another 'prepared foods' recipe we like is take a raw sausage roll and bust it up and brown it up in the skillet until cooked.
              Add 1/2C heavy whipping cream and 1/2C chicken stock.
              Reduce heat and simmer to thicken slightly.
              Add a small can of diced tomatoes w/ green chilis.
              Stir & simmer some more until the thickness is where you want it.
              Then either add over pasta or use as a burrito filling with some shredded cheese & sour cream (can use less liquid if using for burritos). YUMM!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, you got us hooked on your rolled fatty. Sooper easy, sooper tasty, and sooper fun.

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                That sounds sloppy good!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman well yeah I suppose, but I feel like it's cheating. Not really a truly homemade offering.

If anyone knows how to "cheat" and make Campbell's Pork n Beans from scratch, I'm still looking for that one. I bought a recipe one time that was supposed to be CPB and it was not even close. Such would really be cheating.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                I made a post a while ago about canning pork and beans..I think it is pretty darn close.. I use pork sausage and bacon. I did have to add a cup of maple syrup to get it where I wanted it..

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                You know what I think is funny about this? This thread is essentially about doctoring up off the shelf foods. When I was a kid and you wanted to make baked beans you took pork and beans and doctored them up. Now we want to reproduce the original.

Here are the ingredients to Campbell's Pork and Beans;

INGREDIENTS: WATER, PEA BEANS, PORK STOCK, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALT, TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), DISTILLED VINEGAR, PORK, PORK FAT, PAPRIKA EXTRACT, BEEF EXTRACT, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVORING, FLAVORING, ONION EXTRACT.MAY CONTAINS TRACES OF WHEAT.

I suspect the reason (well I KNOW the reason) they taste so good is the amount of sugar they add. Hell pork isn't even mentioned until the 10th item. I'm sure salt also has a lot to do with the umai feel to the palate.

I can tell you as a kid I sure loved eating those, haven't done so in years. If you're trying to make it yourself just load it up with sugar

Comment

OK I'll play:

#10 can of B&M Original Baked Beans
                1 pound bacon chopped
                4 medium onions. quartered and sliced
                2 cups ketchup
                4 tablespoonfuls yellow mustard
                2 cups loose packed brown sugar

Mix all the ingredients together and place in a dutch oven. Bake at 350 uncovered for an hour and a half stirring frequently.

Comment

I cheated to get my kids in college. 😛

Lately, my "homemade" bbq sauce has been Sweet Baby Ray's original with a few chipotle peppers and a few spoonfuls of adobe sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here