Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke overload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've had a few topics like this before, IowaGirl , which have made me feel better. Hopefully this one makes you feel better, too. You're not alone! I remember Huskee mentioning that if he takes a shower (as others have mentioned previously) his taste buds seem to do better.

I think what you have experienced is common to many of us who spend long hours tending a smoker. I had the same experience yesterday smoking Korean pulled pork. It tasted good, but not as good as I know it can. Meanwhile, the others at the table raved about the dinner.

After a cook, I always shower before going to bed. I never shower before the meal, though, as that would involve hair, makeup, etc. do-overs for the day. That's a lot of work! So I just appreciate what I can, tastewise, and wait for the second day to really enjoy the flavors. Sort of like making Italian food.

Kathryn

Comment

I tend to agree that smelling the smoke and whatever you're cooking for hours on end does have a negative effect on appetite. A couple of years ago, I smoked a butt, wrapped it up and put it in a cooler and in the backseat of my truck for a 2 hour drive to some friends' house. It smelled great, but I was kind of nauseated by the time I got there.

Comment

Oh yes IG. Not only has it been discussed & once again appropriately, it has been diagnosed and labeled. I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned. It is called STS an anachromininum for Smokey Taste Syndrome. There ya have it. 🕶

Comment

I think the closer you have to tend a cook, the greater the chance of having this effect. Since I use an SnS and a controller, I don't have the problem.

Comment

This happens to me on long cooks too. I'll try the shower thing but I AM NOT putting my makeup back on!

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              STS, you refuse to submit, so then you suffer. 🕶

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I am sure your family would appreciate that.

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              💋💄📿

Got a kid in college living with us. Works at night in a burger joint. Comes home smelling like 10 years worth of used peanut oil. Says he doesn't smell a thing, I can't stand to be within 10 feet of him. Guess we filter out what's on us. I like the shower solution, seems to re-set the whole food experience.

Comment

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Good point, that. I have done a lot of chores on my family's hog farm and my nose even gets used to that by the end of a long day.

Absolutely! I call this BSO- BBQ Sensory Overload. If I take a shower just before (or after) guests arrive, I enjoy it all better. If I try to eat all smoky & grungy from tending the smoker all day it's not as wowing.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah, you sure want to be wowy!

I don't have this problem yet, but I wonder have folks tried a palate cleanser and the results?

Comment

• Stevo
              Stevo commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you mean scotch? 😛

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I smoke cigarettes and usually have an unusual beer (typically an IPA or something funky) on the weekends so was just wondering if one of those things was preventing me from being afflicted with this problem. I'd say it's less time around the smoker than those who tend a fire, but I probably go out more with the dogs and me getting a cig in. My clothes smell strongly of cooking smoke, but I still enjoy my food as much the same day as I do the next. Could just be biology like asparagus pee?

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm guessing it's more that you're a smoker and your body is adapted to cig smoke, so being around smoke from a campfire or smoker isn't that big of a deal. I don't smoke except on rare occasions when I'll share my husband's cigar, so it's not something I'm adapted to. Just a guess, though....

I can see having a drink of something distinctive and not smoky -- like the mint juleps being discussed in another currently active thread -- might also help. But I'm betting the shower will make the biggest difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here