Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke overload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bardsleyque
    commented on 's reply
    sure wish you would!

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    I seem to recall your hair is quite a bit shorter than mine. I know mine reeks afterwards!

• Mudkat
    replied
    This happens to me on long cooks too. I'll try the shower thing but I AM NOT putting my makeup back on!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I think the closer you have to tend a cook, the greater the chance of having this effect. Since I use an SnS and a controller, I don't have the problem.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Oh yes IG. Not only has it been discussed & once again appropriately, it has been diagnosed and labeled. I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned. It is called STS an anachromininum for Smokey Taste Syndrome. There ya have it. 🕶

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    A shower? As in rain? Whataya talk, whataya talk?

• Steve R.
    replied
    I tend to agree that smelling the smoke and whatever you're cooking for hours on end does have a negative effect on appetite. A couple of years ago, I smoked a butt, wrapped it up and put it in a cooler and in the backseat of my truck for a 2 hour drive to some friends' house. It smelled great, but I was kind of nauseated by the time I got there.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    We've had a few topics like this before, IowaGirl , which have made me feel better. Hopefully this one makes you feel better, too. You're not alone! I remember Huskee mentioning that if he takes a shower (as others have mentioned previously) his taste buds seem to do better.

I think what you have experienced is common to many of us who spend long hours tending a smoker. I had the same experience yesterday smoking Korean pulled pork. It tasted good, but not as good as I know it can. Meanwhile, the others at the table raved about the dinner.

After a cook, I always shower before going to bed. I never shower before the meal, though, as that would involve hair, makeup, etc. do-overs for the day. That's a lot of work! So I just appreciate what I can, tastewise, and wait for the second day to really enjoy the flavors. Sort of like making Italian food.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I throw the food in the cambro, clean everything up and then give a nice, cold shower. That seems to help a lot. Gotta make sure I wash my hair too, it seems to suck up a ton of smoke. LOL.

The KBQ especially pushes me to shower afterwards. I am all hot and sweaty when I am cooking with it anyway, so even with out the smoke over load, I would need a rinse anyway. In some cases, the lake might be a better option.

Leave a comment:

• Timbo54
    replied
    I have the same problem, especially when using my KBQ. I taste very little smoke after tending to it all day. When using my Traeger ( set and forget ) I get a better taste profile. I've seen on another post to take a shower after cooking, haven't tried it yet as I'm eager to eat. Interesting post, thanks for bringing this up.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    I've heard at least one or two others recommend this.

• Spinaker
    replied
    I have the same problem. I always shower after I am done cooking. That seems to help a lot. My hair is generally the worst, once I give it a good wash, then I am fine.

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    What was discussed a year or two ago, Skip? You mean your 24/7 eating?

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    Good tip Steve B -- I'll give it a try.

• Skip
    replied
    Interesting post. I seem to be able to eat 24/7!! I think this was discussed a year or two ago.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here