Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torch Searing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torch Searing

I just bought a Greenwood 91033 propane torch for searing/finishing 10 corned beef briskets (served along with lamb stew and many other apps & sides) for 80 people on St. Patrick's Day. But, I can't find a definitive source for how to properly use it to finish the beef. Lots of opinions and surmising out there about using the blue flame and avoiding the yellow flame to avoid the "torch taste" but nothing that "guarantees" how to use it properly and what to avoid. Don't see anything on AR about that. Anyone have a reliable link? Dr. Greg Blonder?

That type of torch isn't usually the kind used for searing as far as I can tell. Check out this video.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help you as I've never used a torch.

Comment

Welcome to the pit. I don’t torch sear either but others here do so hopefully you will get your question answered shortly.

Comment

JimLinebarger - I've seen it used here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttzs...youtu.be&t=220. Just looking for more specific info on how to use the torch itself.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            That seems to be a new toy they are using now. In all of the vids of theirs that I have watched before they were using the Searsall. This vid is from Feb 20, 2019. I hadn't watched that one before. I was also looking to see if they talked about torching but so far I haven't seen it. They just play music and torch the food. Their link to the FlameThrower looks different than the one they were using. It seems like they are also using it far away from the food.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a flamethrower like that. It works phenomenally well. The Searzall is ok, but it is SLOW. I mean seriously. Takes several minutes to do a decent steak, trying to do a number of large pieces of meat is NOT going to be fun. The flamethrower I got at TSC or wherever I got it (listed there as a "weed burner") will sear an entire brisket in no time flat. Less than a minute, probably. That IS the way to go.
            Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; March 4, 2019, 08:36 PM.

I know the Searzall was specifically designed for culinary uses.

Comment

I bought the simple torch much like your Greenwood. It works great...clean a grill, start a fire, sear some meat. I've used mine for searing just once...I went for heat at and beyond the orange flame...I figured the blue flame is full of unburned propane. One might suspect the orange flame, but I've seen no production of soot like products. Your torch head likely has some sort of coating, usually gold or brass colored, that burns off and flakes, both inside and outside the torch head...so you don't want that...it will burn (flake) off in a few minutes...then scrub with a steel grill brush...ready to go! Somewhere I saw that pre-searing, one should go with salt and rub, sear, then, if desired, rub down with an oily mix with such as rosemary and garlic and let your smoke take care of that.

Comment

I just use my plumbing torch for sweating copper. But I have to use an extension hose between the torch and the propane bottle. Otherwise the torch goes out when you turn it upside-down.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here