Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding in cambro/cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding in cambro/cooler

I am thinking about selling plates at my work, I am wanting to cook a little in advance and not sure if i should buy a cambro or just a larger cooler or so and hold in that. I figure when i do brisket, i will only slice as needed and wrap back up and hold.
    Pulled pork, not sure, how well does it hold temp well after being pulled and put in a hotel pan and covered? I am assuming ribs would hold just fine.
    If anyone could give a noobie some insight / advice, i would appreciate it, thanks

I suspect you'll get some help here. Unfortunately, I have no clue.

Comment

I find that just like slicing brisket ahead of time pulling pork ahead of time tends to dry. Pulling it and rewrapping it will help, but I think it will also cool faster.

Comment

• _Tony
        _Tony commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, i would not cut any brisket ahead of time and now that you mention that about the pork, i think it would be wise to just pull it off as needed and rewrap.

Slice and pull as needed for eating
      we package and freeze to go or
      delivered for later heat and eat
      the more meat in the Cambro
      the longer it will hold temp

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        once sliced or pulled it goes downhill.

Check your state and local laws if you haven't already. Most states won't allow foods that have time/temperature requirements to be sold from home kitchens.

If all is good, possess the ability to prove (recordkeeping, digital goodies, etc...) your hot stuff is staying hot (140 F minimum) and your cold food is staying cold (40 F maximum).

You can slice ahead and pull ahead. If I am doing this for fundraising I make sure to collect all the juices I can, especially from the points, so I can add a little with the slices.

Comment

• Thom Emery
        Thom Emery commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep We give away food to our demolition company customers

I did 8 racks of ribs for a work luncheon. I cooked the ribs the night before, wrapping in foil at about 10 PM then cranking the Primo up to 250 until midnight. Packed the ribs into a 45 quart Yeti with towels above and below the ribs. Put 2 towels on the bottom of the cooler, then stacked the ribs, the used more towels to take up the airspace.

At noon the next day when I took the ribs out they were still steaming. Needless to say they were very "overcooked" but the meat was like butter. Falling off the bones. Bomes cpuld be pulled out without anything stuck to them.

Anyhow a good cooler will hold heat. The key is to remove as much air space as possible. You probably don’t need an expensive cooler but you should use cheap towels. They WILL get spillage on them. I held my food for many hours in the safe zone.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve got both Yeti and Ritc coolers. I will say that the Ritcs do a great job for about half the price of a Yeti. Still, for a short hold time and paying attention to removing as much air space as possible with towels, almost any decent cooler will work.

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Would also add that if you can "pre-heat" the cooler it helps. I will often "pre-heat" my cooler by pouring some boiling water from an electric teapot (1 or 2) teapots (10 cups each) into the cooler an hour or two or so before I fill the cooler. I do pour the water out prior to putting the meat in.

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        I got the yeti for the boat. Coleman cookers would fall apart in the sun. Also they simply don’t hold ice on hot days. The yeti 45 fits perfectly in a thing built in the splashwell. I also have an rtic 65 for my home hurricane kit. Comparing the two, rtic is the same as yeti, for a lower cost. The Walmart brand is also on par (ozark trail). But there is a difference in a good cooler and a cheap one. Get one and you will see.

I hold for hours in a regular Coleman cooler. I pull and slice at serving time, and slice/pull leftovers and seal them in vac bags with drippings. +1 with SmokeyGator on the towels, I used some of our good towels once by mistake and the missus read me the riot act.

Comment

I appreciate the great advice from you guys, it will defiantly help when the time comes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here