Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Aging: Do I need a circulation fan for the interior of my fridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Aging: Do I need a circulation fan for the interior of my fridge?

Good morning all!

I recently got some Umai Dry Aging bags. I was wondering if I needed to get a fan for the inside of my fridge. I have read it both ways, some say you need one, some say you don't. So, I wanted to hear some input from those that have done this before.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Controlled air flow, temperature and humidity if you are aging in an open environment. With the Umai bags you simply need to keep things under 38*, I actually keep mine at about 34-35*. That's the beauty of the bag, it takes two of the variables out of the equation !!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Thanks!

I'm just curious so I can follow the conversation, is this the product we are talking about:

Dry age your own steak at home using UMAi Dry aging bags. Our beef aging bags are chef tested and scientifically proven to produce the best steak ever. Follow three simple steps to make the perfect dry aged steak. UMAi Dry beef aging are perfect for subprimal cuts of ribeye, striploin or roasts.

I have barely heard of these.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup!

Nope, just place 'em in the fridge. It will smell a little, but not much. I figure opening the fridge every now and then is just good for airing out.

Comment

Do you use a dedicated fridge? Or is this in with all the other food?

Comment

I used these to make pancetta a few months ago and they worked beautifully. I just used my outdoor fridge, which I keep around 35 degrees F. Like Troutman said, no need for a fan or humidity control. Just be sure to get the right sized bag.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great! Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here