Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kale at its best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmmmmm....Collards. Collards and Fried Okra, makes my bbq seem complete.

Comment

Actually if you read up on these types of veggies there are numerous ways to cut the bitterness. One way is massaging with olive oil. I have a recipe I haven’t used in a long time where you braise ribs and either kale or collards in pure apple juice. It comes out delicious and completely knocks out the bitterness.

The bitterness is largely a defense mechanism that plants of this sort use to wart off insects and anything else that wants to eat it. It’s done largely by the plant absorbing large amounts of the element thallium. Once that’s neutralized the plant itself is super rich in nutrients.

Thus speaks professor Troutman, I’m going for another jelly donut, you guys can have your kale and coffee.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried massaging my mother-in-law with olive oil, not only is she still as bitter as ever, even perhaps more so, but I got a black eye as well. My wife wouldn't speak to me for a week, so it was worth it.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude that’s so wrong on a number of different levels. But hey, try braising her in apple juice next go round !!!

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        JELLY donut!!! Yechh!

Dole Kale Salad Kit is one of our favorites------For Real! Simple Side to make for a small group.http://www.dole.com/en/products/chop...kale-salad-kit

Comment

"Kale, Kale the gangs all here.............................................. ..."

Comment

I can stomach kale in soups & stuff, I don't hate it. One thing I can't stand is quinoa. It even clogs up the dishwasher. I told my wife (after her feeding it to me a dozen ways) that it's safest and easier on the dishwasher to just dump the whole pot full in the trash before it even touches the plates.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't mind quinoa. It doesn't taste as good as rice, but it somewhat satisfies that craving - especially for a new diabetic who is having a hard time ditching starches.

I grew up eating kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, and turnip greens. I love them all neked' or with bacon/fat back, salt pork, and a sundry of spices.

Although I have to say, I found the recipe hilarious.

Comment

Love Portuguese Kale Soup

Comment

FireMan You got me thinking about kale. So I had to go get some and make my current favorite salad which is that kale Caesar I posted above. I picked up some Coho salmon to go with it. So. Damn. Good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190220_184840.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	638925

Comment

I spray Roundup on kale. Problem solved.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now I have cancer. Thanks.

I can't understand this aversion to kale, to me it tastes like pork. I feed the kale to the pigs and then butcher them. Tastes like pork!

Comment

Kale is a nice ornamental plant. I don’t get this fascination with eating it.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don’t like eating ornaments.

• NapMaster
                    NapMaster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    While kale has its share of nutrients, I'm not convinced it is all he claims. The site he writes for claim to be science based nutrition facts. Without presenting the whole story, the site is presenting what they think you want to hear. Note all the ads. I'm not trying to say the plant is of no value, just be careful.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know a lot of raw kale eaters complain of digestive unrest and gaseous emissions. If that's optimal health, I will enjoy being suboptimal.

Don't forget to add in some apple cider vinegar. Then you have all three of the big pseudo-science darling panaceas in one concoction, and your garbage bag will be healthier than it's ever been.

Seriously, I don't mind kale. It's got to be cooked, though. I can't do it raw.

Years ago, when I worked at Six Flags, our grounds crew would put "flowering kale" in the flower beds in the winter because they were the only thing that survived winter temperatures that had any color. But once the outer leaves started falling off, they stunk to high heaven (think the smell of over-boiled cabbage or brussels sprouts.) I had an aversion to kale for a long time after that. In fact, I didn't even know kale was a thing to eat for years after that.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Question: Has anything changed?

• Buck Flicks
                    Buck Flicks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fair question. I haven't been back to the park since I quit almost 20 years ago - but the park is open longer in the winter and opens earlier in the spring. I imagine as it's one of the few things that looks good in the wintertime that isn't a permanent evergreen or holly, that they still use it.

Also... I forgot to add initially that my wife's maiden name is Kale.

I'm thinking sweet potato hash comprised of kale and leftover stuffed pork loin and tonight. Gonna be so good!

Comment

Here it is Fire Art slight change in plans. I didn't do a hash but I did a tasty kale stir fry with crisp hot-curried sweet potatoes on the side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	UaKKpsQ4hpvQKLd_OE1hP2GqVQyn1aLXAxLkmHoRgbWzrDN-OgzzcTy0V_zjScrALY6_YSu5ZF57F0CmRNMTmgPuDtEZak-7wvLviEH4MQXe2layjO5hIc_ITa22jSZNviStwuLb9ChWFqTsIMkznV7qfrHYbOi-nvnd61gmpiANvy0n7BBjhA_d7sDVbIAV5QFpjHVKWPegM_XHbHJwtET_71KkJrOdaXdRcSgYOIr-EfWE643apZ2-S554Pdw Views:	1 Size:	280.9 KB ID:	643466

Mmmm. Kale.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	uZhx-lmiNFMSXQ7HFDcGr4xNBtGl8VFx9kwzJez1hhpvPwQYbaydOHt4RRSgHdbwzffVjdPRBr5vzgEJyKjnzxHOf9eAc5wQqhlhsK1nPzmLrgVEiJrhEgLxoz7OorYqXvgyCSxW3h5PzAL8B476MSTGQixvQ5O1qRmwst601VdNpkSB4o-C3yMGPJXg-BrNRLzqtWnm_yGb0oT4qtHkwFLkilT_4X1U0apBPdufCLnbBjXx2YJ1UjrXOhacODC Views:	1 Size:	450.5 KB ID:	643467

Just for you, I added some coconut oil for that nice flavor then I put the thinly sliced stuffed pork loin from the other night right on top of the hot stir fry and covered it. That heated up the pork and made it very moist.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fhJvvXsbvaQJbYOqm1-rL_vhufSZASB-E6nbQ7w6wHO3flvNjAv-h04Ldk7NvHPAaa7e24PukYTS5PIW5kQv0Cex8JwNNPaDV1ERBv_GSZKVnudnw8otGB30W61LDLRH_hb9jdhemxXaHZmMWS61OWWnxIPXxzAnTCg5AgiuT2bh-i1_APJDkfoqeUhoIGIKUB-zSIXKGWd7m2Dg7Tx-QWRwCSxADw27-wwjD_sLkODJ4ODEoaXcYMfnO6GF4zB Views:	1 Size:	383.1 KB ID:	643468

Click image for larger version  Name:	wfPaTvY5hwrUG9A1UiAjXL8jIZO8mzHA3rYKe3-TZvZcFcS_rKHq_WosbTkLIDwEiCyojvCwLU0YmB8lERllc9abw_soSGTJW8kDfwkvK6hUH2or73_9QvQUBmo2JXNZ-mVny9iwFFRm5P8E-sdm1_mPpx-Fh6V5PQqkVzzHX9-N_zQtj62_dNd8F5j5_I7OhcYYc5ZdJWqUZlwLCrFpfPUd4cmefJdXLlcJnXq8lrk6i3kCDUjiHdi0rosqUDP Views:	1 Size:	304.7 KB ID:	643469
                    Last edited by Attjack; February 28, 2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don’t feel so good. 😳

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's probably because you're not getting enough KALE in your diet.

• Fire Art
                      Fire Art commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That look delicious up and until you added that green four letter word

I’ve just realized that kale is four letter word

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here