Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new claim for myth busting - pink butcher paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new claim for myth busting - pink butcher paper

I admit I did not pay attention at all in Physics class but explain to me how this claim from a seller of pink butcher paper works "Pink Butcher Paper helps you power through the "stall" (temperature plateau) and saves 2 to 6 hours. " From a FB post/ad by Mightydreams.com This one might be a worth a go too "Pink Butcher Paper infuses smoky flavor and enhances the flavor profile" Pretty magic stuff no?

Geez, and I've been using plain ol' white butcher paper...

Comment

Claim 1 - power through the stall is reasonable. I don't think the color matters (pink, brown, white, all the same) .... what's going on is that the stall is due to evaporation cooling the meat faster than it is rising due to the ambient temps in your cooker. Three things help with that. 1: higher cooking temp to overcome evaporative cooling. 2: humidity in the cook chamber. 3: wrapping the meat to contain heat loss due to evaporation.

Claim 2 - I have no idea how "infuses smoky flavor" would work, seems hokey to me. Enhances the flavor profile depends on whether you prefer a bit of a braised flavor, or not.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe they are infusing their butcher paper with liquid smoke.????

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Claim 2... it probably would be more accurate if they had said that it doesn't block the smoke from getting to the meat as thoroughly as foil does.

I would bet dollars to donuts the FB seller has never smoked a piece of meat.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. yeah, that makes sense. And I am positive that you are right about said seller.

The first claim is valid as it inhibits surface evaporation. Much like if you tried to run a race with a jacket on. You would over heat fairly quickly because your body could not dump the heat via surface evaporation.

The second claim is marketing garbage. IMHO.

It may allow more smoke to penetrate the paper during the wrap, MAYBE, then if you are using foil. But we all know that cold, wet meat soaks up smoke better than hot meat. Additionally, we know that a majority of our smoke profile is developed in the first couple of hours of the cook.

More on smoke here!

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        hey, I get it, sales is my gig, lol!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too. I get it, it makes it easy for us to read through the BS. LOL texastweeter

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe the paper starts a burning and they get that nice burnt pink paper flavor?

The myth worth examining is the color of the paper. Maybe I should try some pink turlet paper to see if it is a better on my bum.

I do seem to remember Aaron Franklin using some reddish looking butcher paper. I didn't think to much of it at the time for sure.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably neither did Aaron

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        There is nothing magical about the color. The pink color just indicates that it is untreated and unbleached, I believe.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, it’s cuz it’s pink. A guy told me.

I bought Pink Butcher Paper, And it works well for me. I find it easier to use than foil, and I think the briskets I have done are better than when I used foil. There is a lot of info out there on the differences of the White, Pink, and Foil uses. Check out Baby Back Maniac, he has done some side by sides with all three.

Comment

It's like using permeable foil, the seal is much less than foil (unless you did a butcher wrap with tape), and the stall runs longer and smoke still sneaks in, and, unlike the foil, it soaks up moisture and grease, which might be cooking flavor into the meat, without braising.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually wrap with foil after the cook to go Cambro or low oven for a while.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I approve this message...

Yeah. I like the fact it doesn't impact the bark too much and doesn't really braise... When I want braise I make a pot roast!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          True dat

I don't wrap anymore during a cook. I like the bark better when I don't wrap.

For pork and beef, I wrap post-cook, after a 5 minute rest. Then into the cambro for a while before serving.

Comment

Timewise it's a pretty solid halfway point between foil and no wrap, with the bark level being closer to the not-wrapping end of things, IMO. The smoke nonsense is nonsense, I agree with Spinaker, that's just marketing to the inexperienced.

Comment

I just use panty hose. Plus they make neat masks while you smoke.

Comment

• NapMaster
              NapMaster commented
              Editing a comment
              Would those be new or used? 😁

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Pics or it didn't happen.

• RickyBobby
              RickyBobby commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 to what Huskee said.

And here all this time I thought it had something to do with breast cancer awareness.

Comment

Aaron Franklin and the popular BBQ tv producer(His name escapes me) did a youtube comparison of brisket cooked in foil, paper and naked. Interesting results.

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                And the pertinent question is - could he tell the difference in a bllnd taste test?

My money says he couldn't reliably tell the difference between the foil or paper. MIGHT be able to tell the difference with no wrapping.

• PappyBBQ
                PappyBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a youtube vid. Here's the link. Interesting stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOWH7bSHak

I’ve tried butcher paper. Never again. I now use it to cover my table when I do low country boils.

I prefer foil.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelnoc View Post
                I admit I did not pay attention at all in Physics class but explain to me how this claim from a seller of pink butcher paper works "Pink Butcher Paper helps you power through the "stall" (temperature plateau) and saves 2 to 6 hours. " From a FB post/ad by Mightydreams.com This one might be a worth a go too "Pink Butcher Paper infuses smoky flavor and enhances the flavor profile" Pretty magic stuff no?
                This might help.... https://www.webstaurantstore.com/blo...aper-faqs.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here