Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spousal Unit & Wagyu Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like Waygu burgers. they are not beefy enough. The Ribeye will be WAY different. Ember the burger and the steak will, I hope, be cooked to different temperatures. How do you like your steak, medium rare to rare? Burger medium? Also ember that when grading beef, only certain cuts are actually considered. While the rib primal and loins may be rated for Waygu which brings the price of the beef up, the brisket is not actually graded and may be inferior to a Prime actually. I bet the Waygu burgers come from the non graded cuts, and the tripping from the more expensive primal. IMO, unless you ruin a Waygu Ribeye, loin, fillet, or similar by grinding, Waygu burgers are just a marketing tactic.

Comment

Lots of ways i enjoy reheated steak... tacos, fajitas, cheese steak sandwich, etc... the recipes in the attached link look delisious - I would eat any one of these and totally enjoy it...

Last edited by treesmacker; February 17, 2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

When I tried some wagyu ground beef I got from the market I wasn't impressed. It was 15% fat and seemed mushier than a typical ground beef. Wagyu steak is another story.

As far as left over steak goes it's great on a salad the next day.
        Last edited by Attjack; February 17, 2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

My grocery store has SRF wagyu ground beef for $6 or $7 a pound. Kinda pricy but not outrageous. I like it for smash burgers cause it’s so mushy it’s easy to smash. The mushiness isn’t as noticeable when it’s cooked medium well in a smash burger.

Comment

• jecucolo
            jecucolo commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense. I like your thinking.

I think there’s some "maning up" to do around here. Wagyu is good in smaller quantities and at special occasions. Prime is more for every day. Just buy what you like, cook it, if they don’t eat it then you have leftovers. Whatever...

Comment

Lots of great suggestions and advice here so thank you all. The Wagyu burger was the first for us so I admit not knowing that a steak would be that different. I know she likes bacon wrapped tenderloin filets so maybe that is a better choice to test the waters, and rather than wagyu perhaps stay with a prime grade and work it up from there on those special occasions when busting the budget makes sense.

Comment

Oh my. I look forward to having left over steak! Love it reheated for sammies or even on a plate as the main course at a later meal! The fact that I like my (initial) steak/tri-tip/whatever pretty rare helps as I can reheat without approaching medium. But even a great piece of meat with the remains of a board sauce mixed in is pretty darn good to me even at med+. Ain't no way it's going to the dog! Sorry pooch!

Comment

maybe you need to rethink how you reheat your beef. put it in a 250 degree oven until it is back to the temp you like. maybe you've been microwaving or attempting to re-sear the steak and it isn't working out.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
                  maybe you need to rethink how you reheat your beef. put it in a 250 degree oven until it is back to the temp you like. maybe you've been microwaving or attempting to re-sear the steak and it isn't working out.
                  I've tried every method but sous vide so perhaps your suggestion is spot on. What I normally do is not re-sear it but put it in a cast iron pan with some melted butter at a medium heat. It just seems what ever I do the meat dry's out and looses it's flavor. Maybe pop it in a sous vide bag with a little butter and heat at 135* until reheated.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    ComfortablyNumb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Or try different things with it, chop it up or slice thin for tacos, big chunks for chili, etc. And is like pizza, eating cold is just fine.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here