Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letting meat rest- controversy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting meat rest- controversy?

Just read this page in Meatheads book and it counters most of what I read online. Folks swear by letting meat rest....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190214_212708.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	636392

I always let it rest a little but still eat while it's hot.

Comment

Mine gets plenty rest from the grill/heat source to my plate. Time to grub.

Comment

I just cannot see a difference either way.

Comment

Nothing rests around our house except maybe my husband while watching sports or news channels.

When the meat comes off the grill/smoker, it gets eaten PDQ. No rest for the liquid. (Get it? "No rest for the wicked" ? Sorry 'bout that ).

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; February 15, 2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• SpeedyB
            SpeedyB commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha not sure about sleeping during sports but the post smoked meat consumption coma is a thing! 😝

• NapMaster
            NapMaster commented
            Editing a comment
            Your husband is my hero. A real man's man. 😁

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Bwahahaha

I want my hot foods hot, so no rest for me.

Comment

The only time any of my meats rest is if they are placed in a Cambro. Otherwise they get sliced asap.

Comment

The article describes Doc Blonder’s experiments, and there are experiments by others that show that any significant absorption of liquids is complete within about 5 minutes of removal from the heat. On average the absorbed liquid is about 6-7% total weight. So the balance is between gaining some reabsorption vs preventing too much carryover cooking and the cooling of the meat.
              Even if we don’t have a set aside period of rest, the natural progression of removing the meat from heat, plating and then serving our guest provides the 5 or so minutes to obtain any benefit of resting. Meat is also not a balloon where a puncture evacuates the entire contents of the ballon. We usually eat bite by bite at a time so the remaining intact meat is resting as it sits on our plate.

I don’t have a separate resting period unless I want to cambro. The cambro process combines the resting period with other benefits dealing with collagen and other factors.

Since there are never black and white answers in meat science I will admit to always resting poultry as I want some carryover cooking deep within the meat.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                I like the "meat is not a balloon". 🕶

• SpeedyB
                SpeedyB commented
                Editing a comment
                Interestingly Donw this is the first time I have ever heard there is little to no benefit of resting, which I found peculiar, frankly.

I know we are creatures of habit and I know that often times we tend to follow trends in the industry or the hobby, however there is also science and clearly Dr. Blonder is not a dumb-dumb. I wonder if resting while keeping at a certain (warmed) temperature has a different outcome in moisture than resting in ambient air, other than collagen breakdown...

Thx!

By the time the meat goes from the grill to the plate and is cut into enough time has elapsed that it's all good to go.

Comment

I let every rest. So long enough to no burn my mouth

Comment

I still rest chicken and steak. I've just found less juices come gushing out if I wait 5-10 minutes. Maybe psychological, probably force of habit over the years, but I'll continue to do the Frank Sinatra...I'll do it my way !!!

Comment

• BRic
                    BRic commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree .

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm with you on this one.

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup

I do not intentionally rest anything other than brisket, when I hold it in faux cambro. Even butts, I've shredded right off the smoker if it was late and I didn't want to wait, although I usually let them cook for 30 minutes on the counter to avoid burning the crap out of my hands (even with the claws its easy to do!).

Comment

The only thing I let rest is peanut butter, so it absorbs the nutty molecules from the air giving it that textured taste of the nut. Yes!

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes I concur. I sight an article written in JAMA that backs that theory professor !!!

After cooking my briskets and butts they go into a faux combo . My other meat I let rest 5 to 10 minutes max , I don`t like warm steak .

Comment

I usually have the intention to rest but by the time the meat comes off the grill the kids are usually losing it so I need to get dinner on the table. But it can also depend on how the rest of the dinner is coming along. If everything is ready I won't rest very long but if something still needs a few minutes I have no problem letting the meat rest for a few minutes.

I try to give tri-tips and cuts like that a bit longer rest than a regular steak. And it depends on what sides I have. If there are some potatoes to soak up all the juices I don't care about the rest.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                        Ahumadora commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Kids and a well planned peaceful dinner don't go hand in hand.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here