Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Declassified 1948 soviet army cook manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declassified 1948 soviet army cook manual

found fhis one while poking around the news today. Some article made reference to it so I found the source.

This stuff is always interesting to me.

Thanks for posting!!!!

Comment

Nifty! Thanks!

Comment

Yes, I too am all about "tasty food" . My only question is, why was this even classified

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          The Pentagon didn't want word to get back to the American soldiers that the Soviet army served tasty food. Once it was discovered that they boiled pretty much all their meat, it was declassified. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea I'm going for a smoked version of the borsch .... mmmmmm

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably simply because we didn’t want them to know we had it. Maybe it was intentionally provided to someone they suspected was handing things over and revealing that the CIA had it would expose a spy. Lots of stuff like that happened back in the Cold War.

It wuz classified cuz they wuz bad guys & that makes this very special.
        Last edited by FireMan; January 31, 2019, 07:51 PM.

Comment

They boiled food and expected to win. Pfft.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            At least they tried to make good food. Not very hard but having had meals refusing to exit handed to me after Hurricane Andrew.....they will keep you alive. And you aren’t hungry. But all you really want is a cheeseburger

• Keiferr
            Keiferr commented
            Editing a comment
            SmokeyGator, I agree. But some of the best food I've had prepared by others was when I was in the Air Force and participating in an international exercise in Cold Lake Canada. The American and Canadian military cooks were trying to outdo each other. By far the best chow hall food, and some of the overall best food I've ever had. Just for the record, we declared it a tie. 🍴🍔🍰🍤🍗🍣🍜🍝🍠🍛

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            SmokeyGator I was down in Miami for a couple of weeks for Hurricane Andrew clean up. The company I worked for at the time set up shop at the Kendall airport. Expiernced a couple of culinary firsts while I was down there. Buffalo wings & blackened swordfish. The latter changed me for life as I now have an appreciation for seafood.

Andrew was a major event. Even today there are those of us who were there, and the newcomers who weren’t. Certainly changes your outlook on the raw power of nature.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here