Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some team dinner inspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some team dinner inspiration

We are hosting team dinner for my son's HS hockey team in a few weeks and with everyone preparing for the Super Bowl I figured it would be the perfect time to get some ideas for the cook. I plan to make pulled pork, ribs, slaw, some bacon wrapped buffalo meatballs and at least two types of mac and cheese (last year I did bacon buffalo and smoked Gouda mac and cheese). Since I somewhat jokingly say I want to "win" team dinner, I am beginning to feel the pressure and want to continue to up my game (my son has informed me his team mates plan to bring Tupperware containers after last year).

I am happy to entertain anyone's best ideas on sides that might complement what I have planned. Keep in mind these are 15-18 year old boys who can be somewhat picky and tend to like things simple and in large quantities with lots of bacon. For example I made some smoked bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos last year and they were a complete flop with the crew, but they pounded the meatballs and mac and cheese and to a lesser extent the pulled pork.

If anyone has a creative idea for hockey rink (not a desert) that could double as dip (cream cheese, sour cream? I have no clue what might work), that might be cool to try. I do not mind taking a little risk with an item or two because I know there will be enough goodness with the rest of the meal plan so I do not mind swinging for the fences. Lay it on me, thanks in advance.

the barrel beans on the PBC site are a big hit at some of the group things I do and obviously don't require a PBC. easy to make and makes a lot if you need to up the overall volume. Just my 2.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      How about a pan of beans under that pork butt! Oh yeah, real good.

Have you ever made Pig Shots?!?! I love making these and they are always huge hit at a party.

Comment

• Meatyorology
      Meatyorology commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look awesome, personally I prefer a crispy bacon so I am thinking about how I might accomplish that. Maybe just precooking some bacon before crafting the shots so it is still pliable but yet partially cooked before smoking it.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, run the PBC at about 350-400, it will crisp that bacon right up Meatyorology

Originally posted by xaugievike View Post
    the barrel beans on the PBC site are a big hit at some of the group things I do and obviously don't require a PBC. easy to make and makes a lot if you need to up the overall volume. Just my 2.
    I have a PBC so I will definitely check them out, thanks.

Comment

Teens love a good queso dip. If you make the cheese sauce yourself and add some beanless chili it will get scarfed down.

This is always a huge hit every time I serve it:

Roasted red pepper spread. I received a grilling cookbook at a couple's shower preceding my wedding. It had a recipe for roasted red pepper spread. It's simple but

Comment

Could you do some sort of fruit pizza as a side that is done in the shape of a hockey rink? I'll look and see what other things might fit in some of my cookbooks tonight...

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Fruit pizza? Isn’t that illegal? 🕶

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Skip! SKIP!!! Fruit and pizza should never be mentioned in the same sentence. You're going to scare them boys.

• skipsdaughter
          skipsdaughter commented
          Editing a comment
          Just thinking of what could have a base that looks like ice and something that could go on top rather easily. If it scares you, step away from the fruit pizza option. Our young college students devour it and request it for our parties! Who knew?

Pig candy. Cover bacon in brown sugar, bake at 400 till done.

Comment

Take 2: what about something like the attached recipe or mini burger sliders and calling them "pucks"? Either of them could be easily cooked on a grill.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190202_093229.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	631128

Comment

• Meatyorology
            Meatyorology commented
            Editing a comment
            I like that idea, thanks!!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here