Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Bowl Finger Foods for Vegan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I second the idea of stuffed mushrooms. Portabellas are a very good vehicle for a miriade of flavors and fillings. Vegan def makes it tougher than just vegetarian but i could see something based around spinach, sun dried tomatoes and garlic...

might be too big for finger food but with the right filling you can slice them almost like pizza.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Neat thing about portobellos is you can practically make a meal of them!

• w12x40
      w12x40 commented
      Editing a comment
      My sister-in-law is a vegetarian who flirts with vegan. When we have a family gathering, I cook meat for everybody and grill a few big portabellos for her. I brush them on both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt. I usually cook them first so that I don't have to remember a second set of tongs and the hot grill has cooked off some of the meat from last time. She always says she likes them.

Whole roasted or smoked cauliflower or Buffalo cauliflower

Comment

I made these cookies this winter for friends who are vegan. They are raspberry chocolate -- probably unlikely to be cooked in the smoker, but might be a tasty sweet option: https://iwillmakecrafts.wordpress.co...olate-cookies/

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
        Well said, Bighorn Dave . Knowing the back story might make the commenter on the other site want to edit his/her thoughts. A little joshing around about what we enjoy eating seems OK. I get tons of ribbing (pun intended) from most of my family because I'm such a hard core carnivore, so it goes both ways. But our health is so important. I applaud your neighbor for finding a food plan that works for her and I wish her well.

In the meanwhile, would she be interested in an edamame dip with falafel chips on the side? I've used this recipe for edamame dip which turns out pretty good:

https://peasandcrayons.com/2018/04/c...amame-dip.html

I get falafel chips at the grocery store. This brand comes in plain and spicy flavors and is certified organic and vegan: Flamous Falafel Chips

Kathryn
        Well thank you Kathryn for the comments and the suggestion. This just may be the right thing to offer.
        I certainly think a little teasing if fine and often a lot of fun but in this case the person the comments where directed at was not in the conversation to explain her position much less defend her stance. I did my best to explain but those comments fell on deaf ears. I guess thats where I draw the line. If anyone wishes to ridicule or bad mouth someone that isn't in a position to respond then thats a step over the line and becomes cowardly. Unfortunately we seem to experience more and more of that when it comes to electronic conversations. But hey, that was yesterday. I'm moving on and will continue to look for the nice in people such as I've found here.

Comment

You might ought to go to a different party...

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't be a jerk bradjo222 - he is trying be nice to someone who has a true dietary restriction related to her cancer.

Originally posted by bradjo222 View Post
          You might ought to go to a different party...
          And the reason is?????

Comment

• bradjo222
            bradjo222 commented
            Editing a comment
            As an earlier post mentioned..."carrots"...

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Ignore bradjo222 Bighorn Dave - he is apparently one of those who doesn't read the entire thread and comments without thinking.

Is cream out? I just saw a Rick Bayless Taco Tuesday of roasted cauliflower Rijas tacos. But, it had cream in it. Perhaps you could muster up something to replace the cream. Looked to me like it could be served in whole tacos or mini tacos.

BTW on YouTube.
          Last edited by FireMan; January 29, 2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Dairy cream would be taboo, however there are vegan substitutes available .

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
          Is cream out? I just saw a Rick Bayless Taco Tuesday of roasted cauliflower Rijas tacos. But, it had cream in it. Perhaps you could muster up something to replace the cream. Looked to me like it could be served in whole tacos or mini tacos.

BTW on YouTube.
          I'll check it out. Thanks

Comment

I know it's late, but hummus and guacamole are vegan-friendly and delicious finger foods that everyone enjoys. Just make sure any chips and/or pita are cooked in vegetable oil.

Comment

Bighorn Dave what did you end up taking to the Super Bowl Party?

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                Bighorn Dave what did you end up taking to the Super Bowl Party?
                We took the chip dip that Kathryn (fzxdoc) suggested (thanks again Kathryn) along with the only chips we could find that suggested being appropriate for vegetarians and vegans, a vege tray, and for those of us that practice other dietary disciplines bacon candy chicken bites that Malcom Reed shares on his site. Over all everything was a hit food wise. The only bummer was the game in general, the half time show if you want to call it that and the final score. The greatest part was sharing the evening with good friends and great food.

Comment

Thanks for giving us a followup, Bighorn Dave . Sounds as though the food was a hit at least.

Kathryn

Comment

Mmmm. I want some of that dip now. I'm still playing the surgery card, so maybe the wife will pick me up some!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here